PDA

View Full Version : Two way radios for Michigan

Some Guy
10-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Hey All,

My team is putting together it's budget proposal for the school and we are looking at putting some two way radios on the list. We tried using cell phones last year and it was less than ideal. We are now looking at something like this:

h t t p://tinyurl.com/mz45vtn

Which are just your standard small handheld radio like you get at Walmart. Range is our main concern and the 36mi range is obviously very optimistic. Our goal is to be able talk between the far edge of the paddock and the dynamic area. I know Motorola stuff is very common in pro motorsports but that is big money and seems like it could be overkill.

Have people had success with these in Michigan or Canada? If not what are you using instead?

Drew Price
10-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Those would probably work fine.

I bought some even cheaper ones than that with push-to-talk mike and helmet speaker kits that I take when I go dirt bike riding with buddies, mine are made by Baofeng (also off Amazon). As long as you have basically line of sight (don't go behind a big hill) the range is quite good.

Take into account if you can get a headset that fits whatever jack is on that radio, there are several cheaper radios out there that you can use the nice Motorola headsets and save a ton of money by using cheaper radios.

Check out some of the adventure off-roading or hiking forums for cheap ideas to do stuff like that. There are lots of good ones out there.

BillCobb
10-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Would it be too bold to ask or beg RacingRadios or Sampson Radios to 'donate' a tower and team 2-way stuff ? A sticker on each car would be worth some good publicity.