PDA

View Full Version : SAE Chapter Requirement?

hsulaimon
08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. A few students are my school are attempting to start up a team for the Formula Hybrid Competition. Is it necessary that we have an SAE chapter or can we compete just as student members who have filled out the online application and paid the $20 dues. I was searching the threads and I found something in reference to the Formula SAE rulebook.
FSAE team members must be at least eighteen and degree seeking undergraduates or graduate students. Further, to form an FSAE team you need a collegiate SAE chapter (http://students.sae.org/chapters/collegiate/club/).
However this is a post from the year 2004. I assume things have changed since then and we are not interested in organizing and running an SAE chapter.

Thank You in advance for your time and help.

Kirk Feldkamp
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that item is still in the rules. Check out the official rules on the SAE site to be sure. I would contact the Rules committee as well just to see what the possibilities are. I agree, it seems like a massive PITA to have to start a chapter in order to then start the actual project. Perhaps they have made exceptions in the past, I don't know.

-Kirk

Goody
08-20-2013, 02:30 PM
We ran this year as student members and not considered a "Collegiate Chapter" as a first year team.

Michael Royce
08-21-2013, 09:03 AM
For Formula Hybrid, Rule A5.3.1 says "Team members must be members of at least one of the following societies: SAE, IEEE, SAE Australasia, SAE Brazil, ATA (Italy), IMechE (UK) or VDI (Germany)." Nowhere do I see a requirement that you are a part of an SAE Student Chapter.

I will check with SAE-I and Doug Fraser at Dartmouth College (who run the Formula Hybrid event) and if there is anything different I will come back to this thread.