PDA

View Full Version : rear sprockets

Cement Legs
02-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Has anyone designed or used a floating mount for a rear sprocket, a setup similar to floating rotors for brakes?

Cement Legs
02-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Has anyone designed or used a floating mount for a rear sprocket, a setup similar to floating rotors for brakes?

Flash
03-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Their are a few karts coming out with floating sprockets at the moment (can't remember the name of the chassis). Can see the (slight) advantage in a kart, as it will allow for some runout in the sprocket in the event of touching a kerb or similar. However, I would say if you are having chain misalignment problems (?) it would be merely a patch, you are better off solving the problem at the root, most likely flex or relative movement between the engine and the sprocket.

Cheers,

Matt

Bartron
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about a similar design.

I think a floating sprocket and carrier assy could be beneficial as it could distribute torque more evenly across the sprocket. It could also increase driveline efficiency by decreasing momentary drag on the driveline, caused by chassis flex.

Obviously the differences between hard and floating sprocket mountings wouldn't be massive, but I may investigate the idea further.

What do you guys think?

Wesley
07-31-2007, 09:17 PM
OU is running a floating sprocket on the 2007 car. We were in Detroit and Cali with it.

It's basically the same design as our brake rotor mounts.

Conor
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I remember seeing pictures of a team that tried a floating sprocket. The pictures were after it had shattered into a million pieces.. Seems like an over complication to me and not all worth the time, but that's just my opinion. I'm a stickler for the KISS rule.

Bartron
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
After discussing it with some other team members we also came to the conclusion that it was overcomplication.

Thanks for the input.