PDA

View Full Version : Single cyl turbo history

powered by wattard
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Any teams ever had any success with a single cyl turbo engine in the past years of FSAE or Formula Student. My memory doesn't go back far enough. I need some info for a report.

Did a team win the UK event with this setup?

Cheers

powered by wattard
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Any teams ever had any success with a single cyl turbo engine in the past years of FSAE or Formula Student. My memory doesn't go back far enough. I need some info for a report.

Did a team win the UK event with this setup?

Cheers

terra_dactile
11-08-2005, 08:42 AM
hi,
RMIT won the formula student event in 2004 with a single cylinder engine but i dont believe it was turbo charged

Jude Berthault
ETS Formula SAE
Steering System Leader
Brake System R&D

drivetrainUW-Platt
11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
talk to Queens Uni, pretty sure they had a single turbo with lots of info no their website

Dan G
11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah Queens' website is kindof entertaining to click through. They narrate the trouble they had getting that turbo single going. At least they had a good time with it all.

http://engsoc.queensu.ca/formulacar/engine/

Harschi
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't think that a turbocharger works very well on a single cylinder. It's better to install a supercharger, so that you get torque out of the lower revs. We drive our Rotax single cylinder with a Roots charger from Eaton and get 78 hp and a torque of ~85 Nm between 3500-6800 revs.

Florian Harsch
http://www.joanneum-racing.at

Z
12-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Harschi,

That's a great looking torque/power curve for your Rotax. Do you have any more specs for it, or more pictures? I'm curious about weight, size, cost, etc. Also, what position is the engine in the car, and what sort of drivetrain?

Z

Big Bird
12-03-2005, 08:00 AM
When considering turbos and singles in FSAE, the critical dimension is the distance between the exhaust port and the turbo itself. The further the better. For example, when we won Formula Student in the UK, the turbo was in a bin back in Melbourne.

Hope this helps http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cheers,

clausen
12-03-2005, 10:36 PM
LOL - that's funny!

drivetrainUW-Platt
12-04-2005, 02:29 PM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif that musta been a lota weight in tubing!

Harschi
12-05-2005, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Z:
Harschi,

That's a great looking torque/power curve for your Rotax. Do you have any more specs for it, or more pictures? I'm curious about weight, size, cost, etc. Also, what position is the engine in the car, and what sort of drivetrain?

Z </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont't know the exact specs of our engine, but if you want to have some more information about the engine email lukas.gohm.fzt03@fh-joannem.at. He's responsible for the engine of our car. I'm sure, that he gives you exact information.

Regarding the drivetrain, we use a standard chain drive and the Torsen differential.

Test Driver
12-06-2005, 07:44 AM
In the late 90s, I recall there was a school that ran a turbo'd KTM. I think it was Sunny Buffalo that ran it. Check the archives. The work done was extensive and I think they also wrote an SAE paper related to their research.

Ramon

rjwoods77
12-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah we did. This is the info from what i understand. A dynograph said it was making 89hp. The only problem was they coldnt keep it together. Used a aerocharger turbo of which we still have. Anyone want it for cheap? They had a problem keeping the seals and rings working correctly. I think if they had run a crankcase vacumm pump, it would havbe held togther. I think there was some blow by(ring sealing issue) that pressurized the crankcase and made is puke oil eveywhere except for where it was suppose to go. I heard it was frightening when it worked. The mistakes made were solveable i think but again the thing wasnt built for that kind of abuse. I just think they huffed the living shit out of it.

rjwoods77
12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Actually just to add. Over the years we have run three turbo cars. The turbo ktm and 2 cbr engined ones. Always have been very powerfull(low 90's) and some of the best in the series back in the mid 90's. Our team had a real good strech in the top 20 for 4 years back in the day. But we all know what happens when people leave. We hope to change that this year.

Kenny Tachimoto
08-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Does anyone know where this paper from Suny Buffalo can be found ?

SNasello
08-15-2007, 05:57 AM
I wasn't around when Queen's did the turbo single, but i can tell you that it had very similar problems to what Rob Woods described. There was just too much torque for the drivetrain to handle and we sheared teeth of multiple gears. Also i think we had to put in a bigger clutch because the stock one couldn't handle the torque (we were making twice the stock HP on a Suzuki 450 bored to 470 cc). Also had issues with the turbo oil seals, which cost us the endurance event in 05. I would by no means call it a reliable package.

Kirk Feldkamp
08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, running 15 psi and 60 degrees of ignition advance (no joke) probably didn't help the gear life. Bruce didn't want to believe that somehow the tune was causing the problems. It's very common to break off gear teeth like you guys were doing when the motor is detonating. He showed me a batch of pistons where the ring lands had been blasted off by some monster detonation, but still didn't want to think there might be something wrong with the tune. His method to tune the timing map was to keep increasing the advance until the torque dropped off again. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Regardless, yes, the stock clutch wasn't up to the task... and the turbo had WAY too much oil pressure feeding the turbo because an unregulated electric pump was used (due to a lack of engine oil pressure). Oh yeah, and the center housing drain was basically horizontal back to the pan.

My point is, the components that go into the package don't necessarily make it reliable or not. Rather, the engineering that goes into the package makes all the difference. Yes, sometimes that can include component selection.

As for the paper, I don't know about that one specifically, but you can buy SAE papers at www.sae.org (http://www.sae.org).

Kenny Tachimoto
08-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks.

Yeah ive been looking on the sae site, just can't seem to find it