PDA

View Full Version : shock absorber installation inclination

carlosfierros
01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi guys:
Could someone tell me (references are welcome) what is the minimum angle, between the shock axis and the horizontal line, possible for correct working of a double tube, non-pressured, convencional shock absorber? Due packaging, I would like to use the minimum angle possible,say it about 35 degrees. I am not sure if it will work without taking air from the damper's foot valve when it is operating.
Thanks
regards
Carlos

carlosfierros
01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi guys:
Could someone tell me (references are welcome) what is the minimum angle, between the shock axis and the horizontal line, possible for correct working of a double tube, non-pressured, convencional shock absorber? Due packaging, I would like to use the minimum angle possible,say it about 35 degrees. I am not sure if it will work without taking air from the damper's foot valve when it is operating.
Thanks
regards
Carlos

Kurt Bilinski
01-23-2008, 06:30 AM
There is no one answer. There's a cosine term as you move away from perpendicular. It'll keep working all the way to just above horizontal, but whether that's okay is up to you. Another issue is how the internal valving works when layed on its side. If it's not pressurized, at some angle it'll probably stop working. Then don't forget cornering forces helping/hurting the valve operation, too.

carlosfierros
01-23-2008, 07:30 PM
thanks Kurt
But there should be some experimental data tilting the shock until it stop working properly. Always talking about a non pressured shock. I think, besides the inertial forces, another problem is the vibration itself, since in this type of dampers the main body which contains the oil is attached to the side which vibrates as the wheels move with the road.
Thanks.
Best Whishes
Carlos

Kurt Bilinski
01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm sure someone's done some testing, but it'll depend very much on brand, design, model number, etc. Probably the best you can do is post the exact model of shock you want the info on and hope for the best. I doubt you'll hear anything but it's worth a try.

HenningO
01-24-2008, 01:56 AM
You probably have a good reason for wanting to use a non-pressurized damper, but I would strongly recommend you looking into running a pressurized one since that pretty much is the state-of-art these days. You'll find that it has more consistent behavior but it also allows you to run a push/pull-rod configuration which helps packing and gives you better control of the motion ratio.