PDA

View Full Version : R6 timing

Nitesh
04-22-2006, 03:17 AM
hello everyone,

hope ur cars are coming up great for the competition. we here are stuck with a problem i hope u could help me out with. we got a 2001 model R6 with us which needs a lot of spare changes and repairs(timing chain included). I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with the original spark timings of the engine so that we can get the engine up and running in the stock conditions before moving on with putting the restrictor.

my email id is niteshbids@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Nitesh

Nitesh
04-22-2006, 03:17 AM
hello everyone,

hope ur cars are coming up great for the competition. we here are stuck with a problem i hope u could help me out with. we got a 2001 model R6 with us which needs a lot of spare changes and repairs(timing chain included). I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with the original spark timings of the engine so that we can get the engine up and running in the stock conditions before moving on with putting the restrictor.

my email id is niteshbids@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Nitesh

Chris Boyden
04-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Here's what I remember from our 1999 R6 Engine on our 2003 car.
The stock bike manual claims that the timing
is at 55 degrees BTDC at 5500 rpm. (Load/Vacuum/Throttle is not specified).

General operating regions:
At high loads (low vacuum, lots of throttle)
At med loads (medium vacuum, med throttle)
At low loads (high vacuum, low throttle)

Medium Load Curve
Degrees

BTDC

.....|.................------------------------------
50.|................/
.....|.............../
40.|............./
.....|............/
30.|........../
.....|......../
20.|......./
.....|....../
10.|.--
....---------------------------------------------
....1k 2k 3k 4k 5k 6k 7k 8k 9k 10k 11k 12k 13k 14k 15kRPM

(sorry about the getto text art, the post rejects whitespace)

To get started, subtract approximately 20 percent for High Load scenarios ~40 DBTDC at 5500 rpm.
add approximately 10 percent for low loads, ~60 DBTDC at 5500 rpm.

Set the idle at approximately 10 DBTDC for all loads.
Be conservative at first. Don't be too aggressive with the degrees before top dead center.
Limit the max DBTDC to 40 or 45 for medium loads. Get it running well ~13:1 AFR at all points, then work at increasing the timing to the levels described.

Although the R6 manual prints the 55 degrees BTDC at 5500 rpm, we seemed to be a little aggressive with the timing relative to other FSAE teams when it came to the R6. Never had the R6 on the dyno, only the F4i, so alot of the tuning was done with a narrow band O2 sensor (yes, wideband is better). To make it a little richer than 14.7:1 (Stoich from a Narrow band), I just added a little fuel entire curve until it sounded and smelled good. In the end, the engine ran great, 4.4s accel run for a 600 lb car w/o driver and huge rear sprocket.

Nitesh
04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for ur reply. Would really help us get started with the setting up of our engine after all the repair work

Cheers

Nitesh