PDA

View Full Version : Catch tanks/cans FSG inspection sheet

Phil1988
07-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Hey,

once again a question due to the rules http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. In the Inspection sheet of FSG:

CATCH TANKS - Any coolant overflow, crankcase breather or lube system vents must have separate catch tanks. One quart (0.5 l) minimum each each. 100 deg. C mat'l., behind firewall, below shoulder level. 3 mm min. dia. vent away from driver. PCV allowed if routed to the intake system upstream of the restrictor. Cannot attach breather to exhaust.

What means the 100 deg ???

And in the official SAE rules it stands:

B8.11.2 Separate catch cans must be employed to retain fluids from any vents for the coolant system or the crankcase or engine lubrication system. Each catch-can must have a minimum volume of ten (10) percent of the fluid being contained or 0.9 liter (one U.S. quart) whichever is greater.

Don't now if im completley wrong^^ but there is some difference isn't it? It doesn't stand in the FSG Rules...

regards Phil

PatClarke
07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey! Don't yell at us!

The 100°C requirement is so the material of the catch tank will hold fluids at 100°C.

This is one of the many small differences in the rules between competitions and the reason why teams need to be fully conversant with all the rules for the competition they have entered.

Pat

Charles Kaneb
07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Boiling water poured into a PET "Coke" bottle will shrink it to half its size.

SNasello
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I saw this today too. I believe there is an error in the inspection sheets, because one US quart does not equal 0.5L. The catch tank size has never been 0.5L.

It is also stated in the rules that if there is a discrepancy between tech sheet and rules, the rules stand.

Also, the 100degC means the material you make the catch can out of has to be able to withstand 100degC.

TMichaels
07-04-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the hint, we will take care of that.

EDIT:
Fixed it.

Phil1988
07-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the answers,

lol^^ don't know why i don't got it^^. My head was at an 100 degree angle not at temperature...funny mistake.

regards Phil

Michael Royce
07-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Phil1988,
If you read the FSAE Rules carefully, B.8.11.3 says "Catch cans must be capable of containing boiling water without deformation, and be located rearwards of the firewall below driver’s shoulder level, and be positively retained, i.e. no tie-wraps or tape."

FSG has taken this and changed a few words.

Michael Royce
07-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Addendum,
The Inspection Sheets always have the caveat that if there is any difference between the Inspection Sheet(s) and the Rules, the Rules will always prevail. So, when in doubt, go back to the Rules!!