PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Panel Firewall

BZ
03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone,

We're making a multiple panel firewall this year and are a bit concerned about the rule requiring that the panels be sealed at the joints.

Have any of you made a multiple panel firewall and had any issues at tech with joints in the firewall? I wanted to fasten them together with plastic rivets and seal them with some edge trim but I don't know if the rules require something hardier.

I am currently trying to contact the rules committee about this but to my knowledge, they have a minimum two week response time and unfortunately, I need to decide how to seal the firewall in two days.

Thanks,

jlangholzj
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
we do, never have had issues. IIRC, it's a maximum of a 1/8" gap around the edges...which can easily be conformed to and then covered with edge trim. Our split is in the middle and it overlaps....so no problems there either.

Dunk Mckay
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
We've done thisd in the past and I believe we had an overlap at the seams and put some fire resistant silicon gel type stuff along them.

Alex Lewis
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM
We generally have a gap of 5-10mm between our firewall and chassis side panels covered with a large strip of foil tape - been running that style for 2-3years with no dramas.

BZ
03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I guess I won't have to worry about the firewall not passing tech.