PDA

View Full Version : Putting Beads on Aluminum Coolant Lines

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know where or how to put a bead on aluminum hardlines other than welding a bead around it? I am talking specifically about lines used for coolant lines. The bead prevents the hose from slipping off. Any help is appreciated.

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know where or how to put a bead on aluminum hardlines other than welding a bead around it? I am talking specifically about lines used for coolant lines. The bead prevents the hose from slipping off. Any help is appreciated.

fsae_alum
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes...there is a tool made specifically for this. You can get it from Baker Precision (or at least you could). In the past Parker made one that was very good but I believe that they have been discontinued so good luck finding one.

Patrick W. Crane
04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
I like to just mahine in a few groves to give it some grab. But welding is just as easy(i've done it a few times). that way you don't have to buy any tools... plus if your welds are ugly, they are hidden anyway by the hose

Dave M
04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/EPP/EPPCAT/TubeBead.html

not too expensive, 25-60 bucks for each size.

fade
04-27-2005, 03:38 PM
second the above post remember to anneal the tubing if it isnt already before you bead or it might crack

Cement Legs
04-27-2005, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick W. Crane:
... plus if your welds are ugly, they are hidden anyway by the hose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh... why would your welds be ugly...? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IttyBitty
04-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I support welding the beads...fast, easy, and you don't have to buy anything you don't already have...why bother doing that?

-Nika

Agent4573
04-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Holy shit.... we have one of those tools laying around our shop. Every day I'm in there I pick the dam thing up and play with it, but I could never for the life of me figure out what the hell it was for. Wow, i feel stupid right now.