PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Tool Box

jonno
11-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately we had a break in a week or 2 back, and our complete tool box was stolen. We're in the process of completing forms for insurers to get the lot back, and i reckon we've got most of the basic stuff covered (spanners, allen keys, sockets etc) but it's the little bits that we're struggling getting (like the magnet we had to get spark plugs out of the cylinders) and various bits and pieces like that. So could people reply with what we need to obtain the ultimate formula SAE toolbox... the post would be handy for new teams too, to see what kit they would need to invest in

jonno
11-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately we had a break in a week or 2 back, and our complete tool box was stolen. We're in the process of completing forms for insurers to get the lot back, and i reckon we've got most of the basic stuff covered (spanners, allen keys, sockets etc) but it's the little bits that we're struggling getting (like the magnet we had to get spark plugs out of the cylinders) and various bits and pieces like that. So could people reply with what we need to obtain the ultimate formula SAE toolbox... the post would be handy for new teams too, to see what kit they would need to invest in

Nick McNaughton
11-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Alright, I'll bite. Non-power, non-air tools only...

Full socket set. Extra 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets. Two full spanner sets - one really good one, one cheaper one. Two ratcheting spanners in each common size (10mm, 13mm, etc) Three sets of ball-ended allen keys in both metric and imperial, with another half dozen cheapies in each of the common sizes (5mm, 6mm, etc). Two torque wrenches, one big and one small. Allen key set to suit torque wrenchs. Full set of metric and imperial taps, and dies. Full set of punches. Many hammers of a variety of types, including metal forming and plastic/copper headed. Full set of files, from rough to super fine. Two hacksaws, with an assortment of good quality blades and lots of spares. Lockwire pliers. Full screwdriver set, good quality. Full screwdriver set, cheaper quality. Sheet metal shears, in different blade configurations. Drill bits, in 0.1mm increments from 0.5mm to 10mm for metric and equivalent for imperial, with spares of common sizes for breakages (thread tapping sizes). A good set of reamers, in common sizes. Extendable magnet. Lots of vicegrips, in as many sizes as they make. Assortment of good quality pliers in all common sizes. The most expensive side cutters money can buy. Lots of clamps, from tiny to big enough to grab someone head to toe. Two vernier calipers, with digital readout. Top-notch micrometer. Big stick to hit people who even think about dropping them, and a little fairy to put all the tools away at night, clean and in the right place.

I think that's enough to get someone started, what have I missed?

GTmule
11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Safety wire tools/drilling jigs. Loctite, red and blue. Anti-sieze. A cheap set of dental picks and some snap ring pliers. some cheap (18" or 24")dial calipers that are a bit more roadworthy than the nicer stuff. A good flashlight or two.