PDA

View Full Version : GSXR stock coils....need specs

Chuck Dean
12-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I am trying to do away with our current ignition system as it is rather excessive.

I recently attempted to use the stock "coil-on-plug" ignition coils in combination with: Motec M4, Motec Ignition Expander, Bosch 4-channel Igniter. I am getting spark on all cylinders at the right time but the spark looks a little weak.

Do these coils require some special kind of ignition module?

Has anyone else got them to work using the 4-channel bosch igniter sold by motec?

Other items worth noting:
Dwell Time=2.2ms (measured on o-scope)

Chuck Dean
12-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I am trying to do away with our current ignition system as it is rather excessive.

I recently attempted to use the stock "coil-on-plug" ignition coils in combination with: Motec M4, Motec Ignition Expander, Bosch 4-channel Igniter. I am getting spark on all cylinders at the right time but the spark looks a little weak.

Do these coils require some special kind of ignition module?

Has anyone else got them to work using the 4-channel bosch igniter sold by motec?

Other items worth noting:
Dwell Time=2.2ms (measured on o-scope)

Bowtie Man
12-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I would measure the resistance across the COP, and make sure it is within the specs required by the ECU manufacture or Coil driver. I know with the PE ECU there is a requirement as to the min. resistance and we ended up blowing our coil drivers at comp lastyear due to some poor wiring. Thankfully the PE guys don't like to sleep http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , and we were off and running quickly.

Luc

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
12-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey Chuck,

The GSXR coils are stock inductive which means they simply need a switching 12v signal to operate correctly. If you are providing this, the only thing that will effect spark strength is the charge (dwell) time. 2.2 ms sounds ok for that particular coil. Remember once you completely saturate the coil, charging it for longer doesn't have any positive effect. It only serves to heat up the coils and ignition drivers.

The other question that I would have is in regard to your test. How did you determine tha spark was weak? Sometimes looking at the plugs themselves while they fire is not the best indication. Try substituting the plug gap for a much larger gap. Try using an artificial gap of 1/2" or so. If the spark jumps this then you have a good hot spark.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a call or drop me an email.