PDA

View Full Version : Making Chain Linkage in solidworks

Robert Skapof
02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I want to create a chain between the engine sprocket and differential sprocket. The only way i can think is make links individually and import about 60-100 pieces (maybe less). Then attach them to a cam and follower or path mates to a loop i create. Which still does not let me move them when i turn the sprockets.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Robert Skapof
02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I want to create a chain between the engine sprocket and differential sprocket. The only way i can think is make links individually and import about 60-100 pieces (maybe less). Then attach them to a cam and follower or path mates to a loop i create. Which still does not let me move them when i turn the sprockets.

Has anyone solved this issue?

exFSAE
02-07-2009, 04:08 PM
What are you trying to achieve by doing this? What's the gain?

Could try Motion analysis maybe?

J.R.
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
If you don't care about the chain image itself, then you can do a gear mate in between the centers of the sprockets. Select the center of the sprockets, and then select "gear Mate" under mechanical mates, and then set the ratio, defined by the tooth ratio.

Robert Skapof
02-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Cosmosmotion is over kill for something like this. What we are trying to do is make very realistic videos/animations for presentations through out the school, and for PR to raise money.

fixitmattman
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I have an old parametric model I used back in my baja days for chain. Think I grabbed it from 3d central because I know I didn't make it. It's only to look pretty in brochures and what not as it's a single non movable part.
It's pretty enough to look like a chain.

If you want it send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll fire it off to ya.

Mike Macie
02-08-2009, 03:04 PM
If it's just for looks, i would just make it in Solidworks using the pattern feature. Shouldn't take long at all.

exFSAE
02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like they want the chain AND sprockets to animate together, appropriately.

Gooood luck.

Robert Skapof
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah....i have the chain, and i know i can pattern to create a non-movable chain but i am going for the real deal...If i can get it to work i will post it.

Cheers

Mike Macie
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Skapof:
yeah....i have the chain, and i know i can pattern to create a non-movable chain but i am going for the real deal...If i can get it to work i will post it.

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUm30f3BNDc

This might help

J.R.
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Skapof:
Cosmosmotion is over kill for something like this. What we are trying to do is make very realistic videos/animations for presentations through out the school, and for PR to raise money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's definitely not COSMotion, it's just a regular mate. Look down further on your list of mates.