PDA

View Full Version : Best Steering Wheel?

PedalOnTheRight
10-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Just wondering your thoughts on different steering wheels. I'd like to know which you use, and why you like it. I was at some DSR and Formula Atlantic races this weekend and saw some really ergonomic steering wheels that were simple as well; a few were made by a company called Personal, but I'm having trouble finding info about them. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

PedalOnTheRight
10-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Just wondering your thoughts on different steering wheels. I'd like to know which you use, and why you like it. I was at some DSR and Formula Atlantic races this weekend and saw some really ergonomic steering wheels that were simple as well; a few were made by a company called Personal, but I'm having trouble finding info about them. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

magicweed
10-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Make one. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Last year, we really didn't have the money to spend on a new race steering wheel, so a team mate decided to try his hand at fiberglassing, and made a plug using pink foam. After some shaping and bondo, he went to work on it with the fiberglass and reinforced with some aluminum plates. Came out pretty good for a first attempt, and sits on the car today.

PedalOnTheRight
10-30-2005, 01:45 PM
That is not a bad idea at all. I know I could make one out of carbon fiber, I just wanted to hear about styles that people like.

Thanks
Eric

Rob.C
10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
i think the rules on steering wheels are rather restrictive!! so they are a good place to start!

magicweed
10-30-2005, 03:22 PM
There are only 2 rules that apply to the steering wheel. It needs to have a continuous perimter and can't be a "figure 8", like a top fuel steering wheel. That means it needs to be near circular or near oval. The other is that it needs a quick disconnect. Other than that, make what you like. I'd suggest starting with something easily workable to mockup with, and then work your way down to the wheel with the best feel. Get your teammates input on the wheel as well, since they'll be using it too.

PedalOnTheRight
10-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Grazzi

Rob.C
10-31-2005, 01:29 AM
i stand corrected! i gues its just something that i never thought about really!

PedalOnTheRight
03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Has anyone else purchased a steering wheel that they really like?

What kind was it?

And did you get your steering wheel with quick release, or did you purchase or make a quick release seperately?

Homemade WRX
03-27-2006, 05:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PedalOnTheRight:
Has anyone else purchased a steering wheel that they really like?

What kind was it?

And did you get your steering wheel with quick release, or did you purchase or make a quick release seperately? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the quick release hubs are sold seperately and bolt onto the standard steering wheels...
in the past our favorite wheel was a speedline (?) or something like that. It fit the hand really well...the least liked was an expensive Momo one which was disliked because of its rediculously narrow grip thickness.
We are making our own this year though.

Cory M
03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Best is a personal preference but you can buy the Personal wheels from Hoerr Racing (hrpworld.com). Momo also makes several suitable wheels that are available everywhere, so does OMP.

Schumi_Jr
03-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Speaking of steering wheel quick releases... SPA technique makes a beautiful item. It is lightweight, precise and looks good. It's also expensive but well worth the price.

PedalOnTheRight
03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
After considering a variety of options, SPA Technique makes some of the best steering wheels/quick releases. I'm most likely going to use their products.

Cement Legs
03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
For a quick release we just use a push button pin from McMaster Carr. Very similar if not the same as a push button pin that would be used on a universal style weight system in the gym. About 15 grams.

Schulberg J
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
A guy on our baja team picked up a quick release from Strange Engineering and it is very nice. No slop at all, light, and only $80. Not as light as a SPA, but about $220 cheaper. We are going with the Strange.