PDA

View Full Version : Quaife differential

Schwanger
12-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I was wondering if sealed diff made by Quaife is really sealed(i.e. doesn't leak). We've had problems in the past with fluid leaking out of the housing around our Zexel diff.

Schwanger
12-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I was wondering if sealed diff made by Quaife is really sealed(i.e. doesn't leak). We've had problems in the past with fluid leaking out of the housing around our Zexel diff.

-
12-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Depends if you are making your own housing or not. I have seen more then a few diffs that have leaked more oil then the exxon valdesse. If you are indeed making your own housing, what provisions are you using for sealing in the fluid? Also are you giving any room for expansion of the fluid at temperature?

chavez
12-02-2004, 04:43 PM
its actually valdez....and if that much oil leaked out of your diff you might have a serious problem seeing as you just leaked 11 million gallons of diff oil into the environment, good day

CHAVEZ~

Schwanger
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
What do you mean "housing"? Like the actual carrier that holds the gears and such or a shell that goes around the diff to hold fluid? What I want to know is if the differential that Quaife makes for "motorcycle engine powered cars" is sealed well enough that it doesn't leak. There should be no need for a housing for this diff.

Cement Legs
12-03-2004, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -:
I have seen more then a few diffs that have leaked more oil then the exxon valdesse. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did they use to catch the oil with? Were they able to finish the race? At $40 a barrel for oil did they come in over the alotted $25 000? If so did they have negative values for most of their other parts? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Cheers

Moody
12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
We bought a quaife unit from Taylor Race (www.taylor-race.com (http://www.taylor-race.com)) for the '04 car, and it hasn't leaked a drop ... although it probably hasn't gotten enough use to thoroughly test the "leak-proof-ness". Taylor Race has been awesome to us, but for the price we paid, I'm sorta disappointed that it doesn't cook my breakfast ... if it leaked, I would probably find myself slightly perturbed.

The guys at Taylor can answer any questions you have, ask for Scott, he's the man.

- matt

scotty young Taylor Race
12-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the good words.The Quaife diff is not a sealed diff.Both ends are open.What we do is machine our own end bells and wheel flanges.We have quaife build us the diffs to our specs.If any one is going to the PRI in Indy I will have one on display,come by and see me.

Scotty
Taylor Race Engineering

scotty young Taylor Race
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I should read what I post a little better.The chain drive diff that we make is indeed a sealed unit.Once all of the componants that we manufacture are built onto the center section, which is a Quaife Torque biasing unit designed by Taylor and built by Quaife ,It is then a true sealed unit.

Scotty
Taylor Race.