PDA

View Full Version : steel brake rotors...

sennavsprost
08-09-2005, 03:09 AM
I just wanted to find out what all of your experiences have been with steel brake rotors (4130, 1080, etc). I don't know too much about them and wanted to get some real world feedback from you guys on them.

cheers

sennavsprost
08-09-2005, 03:09 AM
I just wanted to find out what all of your experiences have been with steel brake rotors (4130, 1080, etc). I don't know too much about them and wanted to get some real world feedback from you guys on them.

cheers

Rob.C
08-09-2005, 04:51 AM
we ran Stainless rotors at this years FS comp, and will be running them in aus too,l we have found that they give us much better braking power than our previous ones! as we have got the pads that are matched for stainless, we also have tested them on a purpose built test rig, gettin them a tad warm (up to 700 degC!) and actually wearing straight through a thermocouple at the same time!!

if you get it right then they are great! but get it wrong, and they will be like a blob of jelly on each corner!

good luck!

Jersey Tom
08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Mild steel. Has worked great for us. Been able to lock em up, and they last fine.

We've been running a combo sprocket/brake rotor in the rear, and that was also mild steel. Has worked for us. Had to make a new one the other day, on short notice (like, over-the-weekend CNC). Finding a 3/8 plate of stainless or 4130 laying around would have been difficult and would have cost us money. But just walking around the engineering labs I found some plate CRS in the Civil structures area and got it for free.

And mild steel machines real easy. Stainless and 4130 aren't bad though. I've only done 303, 304, 316, and 416, but they're all pretty friendly so long as you don't get an "L" suffix on one of em, like 304L. Slightly more ugly.