PDA

View Full Version : How to start from scratch?

Sudarshan Ramesh
01-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Hey Everyone

We are new to this FSAE thing. We have grouped ourselves in various teams like suspension,frame, transmission etc..
What is the thing that has to be developed?
Is it the frame using solidworks? If it is the frame how should I do it? How am I gonna be sure that the parts that are going to be fitted onto the frame are going to match?

For example for the engine, there is some space required, how will I be able to determine that?

Please give me a complete insight into this.

Thanks for your help

Sudarshan

Sudarshan Ramesh
01-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Hey Everyone

We are new to this FSAE thing. We have grouped ourselves in various teams like suspension,frame, transmission etc..
Is it the frame using solidworks? If it is the frame how should I do it? How am I gonna be sure that the parts that are going to be fitted onto the frame are going to match?

For example for the engine, there is some space required, how will I be able to determine that?

Please give me a complete insight into this.

Thanks for your help

Sudarshan

PatClarke
01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...607348/m/72110779141 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/72110779141)

Pat

Mehul Botadra
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Buy a ruler, preferably the one from Faber Castell since I dont trust Camlin. You'll recognize the brands since you're an Indian! Start measuring and enter those distances in Solidworks! Wooohoooo! Car made! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bemo
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sudarshan Ramesh:
We have grouped ourselves in various teams like suspension,frame, transmission etc..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good start.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sudarshan Ramesh:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A race car.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You definitely need a frame so you should design one. You can use Solidworks of course. Other possibilities would bei CATIA, AutoCAD, Paint or a sheet of paper. Decide yourself what you like best.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well perhabs you should have a look at your engine and make sure that somewhere within your frame there is enough empty space for it. But you have to be careful. You need the whole space within one department because cutting the engine in pieces is bad for power output.
Thanks for your help
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're welcome. But seriously - do you really expect anyone on this forum to give you a serious answer to this?

Sudarshan Ramesh
01-17-2011, 11:43 AM
So do I just start designing the frame first? And the frame is standard right? I am planning to use a honda CBR 600 CC engine.
Anything particular I need to look into while designing the frame?
How long do you reckon it will take to get the whole car ready?
Also any tutorials for designing the frame?

Once again, is the first thing to start off with is frame?

Regards

Bemo
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm in quite a good mood, so I'll answer this.

The first thing is to understand how a car works. What are the goals for your design? You propably want it to ga fast right?
So what makes you fast? Maybe high longitudinal and lateral acceleration? Driveability?
So you need a good suspension, a good frame, a good engine...
You should start with studying the important literature about race cars (there are a lot of recomendations on this forum, so I won't do that here).
There is no part of the car to start with. Suspension and frame team have to find compromises, engine and frame team will have to find compromises, transmission suspension and frame team will have to find compromises.

This is the so called "concept phase". Underestimated by quite a lot of people, but very important. Designing is AFTER this.

If you design an empty frame first and force all the others to make their stuff fit to it, the result will be a giant piece of crap.

Everybody has to work together. Communication is one of the most important things.

Read the thread "Reasoning your way through the FSAE design process"
Read "Pat's corner" on the Formula Student Germany website

And then it is up to you to do the design work. NO ONE HERE WILL DO IT FOR YOU!
If you're stuck somewhere on the way use the "find" button first. Most standard problems were discussed on this forum several times. If this doesn't help you may ask a specific question ("How do I build a car?" is the exact opposite of that).

KyleD
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
If you haven't already I would suggest you get very familiar with the rules before you start designing and building.

Sudarshan Ramesh
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
I have read the rules.

Gruntguru
01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
You have chosen an engine so a lot of the design constraints can be settled quickly. Work out which major components can be finalised eg engine, driver and templates, wheels etc and decide where those components need to be. Design the suspension and steering to maintain the wheels at the angles you want.

All you have to do now is connect all these components with a frame to hold them in place - as Big Bird says "the chassis is just a bracket to hold the essential bits in place." Make sure all the other bits can fit somewhere (radiator, fuel tank etc) and that roll hoops and other rules requirements are met. Think about accessibility and serviceability of each system and adjust the chassis design where necessary.

Build it.

DID
01-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Just start from what you have learned and what you believe.

PatClarke
01-18-2011, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have read the rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sudarshan, that is not what KyleD recommended. He suggested "You get VERY familiar with the rules" a different thing altogether from 'reading' them!

There are clues in the rules. There are reasons why they are writen in a certain way, in that they can guide you to designing a safe and capable car.

FSAE/FS is a Design Competition. It was concieved to help students translate their theoretical learning into practical knowledge. The only way to do that is to roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty!

The answers are not to be found peeking over someones shoulder nor asking somewhat ignorant questions on a forum.

Have you read, printed and dispersed all the information covered in the "Read This First" sticky at the top of the page? Have you discussed the information with your team members.

Might I suggest you haven't even paid the Forum members the courtesy of reading that post, let alone studied the links contained within!

More than anyone could ever need to know about designing and building a wining FSAE car is contained within the archives on this site. It is rude and ignorant to ask the forum members to tell you the answers. Go do your own research!

You have now had a bollocking from Pat D'Rat!

Arpit
01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey Sudarshan,

check your PM

buggaero
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
To finish, you have to start first.
and asking out the staring point and direction,

only defines your
1) lack of imagination
2) fear of committing mistakes
3) lack of dignity

i'd simply say, try google for your answers, *saves your ass* and come here only when you know that nowhere else could this be answered, not even your own wisdom & experience and of those around you.