PDA

View Full Version : Battery earth lead identification for Formula Student

Loz
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM
The Formula Student specific technical regulations state:
"The battery earth lead, if not otherwise readily distinguishable, must be identified by a yellow marking"

To those teams who have or are competing in Formula Student, how has this rule been applied? ie what is satisfactory for readily distinguishing the earth lead?
Is a black earth lead that connects to the chassis in close proximity to the battery and can clearly be seen to be the earth connection suitable, or does it need to be marked yellow in some way (possibly some yellow tape at each end)?

Loz
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM
The Formula Student specific technical regulations state:
"The battery earth lead, if not otherwise readily distinguishable, must be identified by a yellow marking"

To those teams who have or are competing in Formula Student, how has this rule been applied? ie what is satisfactory for readily distinguishing the earth lead?
Is a black earth lead that connects to the chassis in close proximity to the battery and can clearly be seen to be the earth connection suitable, or does it need to be marked yellow in some way (possibly some yellow tape at each end)?

Garlic
05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by koops:

Is a black earth lead that connects to the chassis in close proximity to the battery and can clearly be seen to be the earth connection suitable, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously?

What part of 'must be identified by a yellow marking' makes you think that a black lead in any way would be sufficient?

PeterK
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm guessing it's the bit "if not otherwise readily distinguishable"

Of course to make sure you don't have issues in tech you might want to make it yellow.

Loz
05-20-2011, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garlic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by koops:

Is a black earth lead that connects to the chassis in close proximity to the battery and can clearly be seen to be the earth connection suitable, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously?

What part of 'must be identified by a yellow marking' makes you think that a black lead in any way would be sufficient? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seriously?

which part of the rule didnt you read...

The cable is 150mm long and goes from the battery terminal to the frame directly in front of it. The is no ambiguity about whether it is connected to the battery and the chassis.

my question was inferring, what is "if not otherwise readily distinguishable"?

Drew Price
05-20-2011, 07:53 PM
That seems like the most obvious way to do it to me, put little twirl of yellow elec. tape around each end near the terminal sounds like a quick way to remove all ambiguity.

(good thing FSAE-Italy doesn't go by how my Alfa Romeo was put together where all the earth wires were green instead of black....except for the ones that were black! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif )

Thrainer
05-24-2011, 04:28 AM
Short answer: Use yellow tape.

Long answer: At FS 2009, we went into tech inspection with black earth leads, which were hidden under the bodywork while driving. We had to mark them yellow. Fortunately, there was some yellow tape on the floor, a piece of which we could use to mark the earth lead. DUT also used a piece of it, though. I thought that was funny, two teams who finished on the podium and didn't have yellow tape when it was needed.

Regards
Thomas