PDA

View Full Version : Main Hoop Bracing Support Structure

Scalesy
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I just wanted to check and see if everyone is interpreting the following rule the same way.

In regards to the main hoop braces-

B3.12.7...From the lower end of the braces there
must be a properly triangulated structure back to the lowest part of the Main Hoop. This structure
must meet the minimum requirements for Main Hoop Bracing Supports (see Rule B.3.3)

The minimum requirements in B.3.3 call for 1"-.049 tubing.

Now in the past, I've seen teams (including my own) using less that 1" tubing to connect the rear bulkhead to the main hoop (including the upper, lower and diagonal frame members). Do all three of these members need to be 1"-.049 now?

The same question applies to the diagonal member required to support the front bulkhead?

The only reason I'm asking about this is because in past years, we've always run .625 and .75 for our diagonal bracing to the front bulkhead and have never had a problem with it. However, I don't think this ever was "rules complaint" and now I'm questioning it even more.

Thanks,

Jon

Scalesy
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I just wanted to check and see if everyone is interpreting the following rule the same way.

In regards to the main hoop braces-

B3.12.7...From the lower end of the braces there
must be a properly triangulated structure back to the lowest part of the Main Hoop. This structure
must meet the minimum requirements for Main Hoop Bracing Supports (see Rule B.3.3)

The minimum requirements in B.3.3 call for 1"-.049 tubing.

Now in the past, I've seen teams (including my own) using less that 1" tubing to connect the rear bulkhead to the main hoop (including the upper, lower and diagonal frame members). Do all three of these members need to be 1"-.049 now?

The same question applies to the diagonal member required to support the front bulkhead?

The only reason I'm asking about this is because in past years, we've always run .625 and .75 for our diagonal bracing to the front bulkhead and have never had a problem with it. However, I don't think this ever was "rules complaint" and now I'm questioning it even more.

Thanks,

Jon

D Collins Jr
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Unofficially, yes. What you have said is the new rule. It shouldn't be any surprise, the committee has been complaining about RH Support Bracing since I started coming around in 06-07. As you saw, the rules about the triangulation that you quoted are new for this year, so that part of your old frame wouldn't be legal anymore. From what you've written, I wouldn't think that your bulkhead support isn't (and hasn't been) either. But as you already know, rules questions are supposed to be directed at katklauz@aol.com.

Scalesy
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, I should have included that I will more than likely be directing this question at the rules committee, but its always good to hear some opinions, or maybe similar issues with other teams. I know for sure that my team wasn't the only one doing this type of thing.

As you said, this rule does not come as a surprise; from what I've heard, their are some people on the committee that are always looking to up the requirements of bracing members and their support structures.