PDA

View Full Version : Driving without the restrictor

Jay Fleming
02-12-2005, 06:24 AM
I know it's illegal in competition, but I'm just wondering if anyone has driven their car without the restrictor. What kind of difference in power and driving ability did it make? I'm unfortunately getting a crazy idea to build one of these with a bigger engine and no restrictor just for the hell of it.

MikeWaggoner at UW
02-12-2005, 10:36 PM
WWU 900cc 1994 FSAE Car (http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/v24)

It's a tough car to drive, but fun. I never got to drive it again after I learned how to drive an fsae car, but it was fun before I knew.

GTmule
02-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Don't go to all the expense and money and build a FSAE car with a GSXR 1000 in it, or whatever. Go ahread and build a DSR or something you can actually race somwhere (against other people). It'l cost a little more, butnot THAT much (biggest jump in price will be in getting a fuel cell, decent shocks and better brakes (mostly the shocks)).

Find an old DSR body for saele somewhere, or make a relatavely cheap one, then just design a frame and susp to go in it. Of course with a legit race car, you have to take safety alot more seriously, so no skimping on parts.

To save that trouble, you could build a truly competetive A-mod car, but for that money, you could buy an old Van-Diemen FF2000, or a Formula Mazda (shudders, those suck) and whip up in B-mod.

jonno
02-13-2005, 09:43 AM
somehow the intake was lost / broken on the original BR-1 formula car so for a year or two it ran on the original Honda carbs and intake. Apparently it was fierce. If you are hell bent on getting a formula Student car to go faster then that is the cheapest and most straightforward method (assuming the honda intake fits with all your bracing bars)
but why would you want to anyway? the difference in acceleration wasn't much better and the drivers just become aclimbatised to a different beast then have to reaclimbatise to the slower restricted car at comp time.

Alexandre D.
02-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I have seen some R6 on internet. 300HP... Do you really want to drive a 300HP fsae?
Tranny and clutch will last... 2 launch?:P

Jay Fleming
02-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Well I guess I should have been more specific. I dont plan on building anything related to a FSAE racing car, just some sort of frame, probably off road and I'm just trying to see if a 600 has enough power to move something of decent weight. Whatever engine would be stock so reliability wouldn't be much of an issue. I've just seen small sandrail type objects but they all had busa 1300s.

dartmouth01
02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
In the past we've replaced the previous year's cars EFI with orginal carbs, in order to be able to scavenge the parts for the next year's car. The first ones were solid rear axle beasts too, and they were alot more of a hoot to drive without the restriction. But oddly enough, we never really broke anything with the added power, which tells me we built some solid cars then.

MotoDave
02-14-2005, 08:38 PM
we've been tempted to put the motor out of my CBR929RR into the old car .... and then realized I don't want to be anywhere near a FSAE car with 150ish crank horsepower.

Big D
02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah, like one of the other guys said, we have taken the resrictor intake off one of our cars so that we can use the ECU again (call us thrifty I guess http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )
That car is nowhere near as advanced as the ones we are doing now, what with over 600lbs, and 10"tires.... and in Green and Yellow, it looks like a tractor http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif . But that thing is wicked, lots of fun. we use it just to get new people in an FSAE car, learn to work the controls of one of these, and it's so different from what we take to comp anyways, the non restricted-ness of it just adds fun.