PDA

View Full Version : A question of style???

James Morris
09-20-2008, 02:53 AM
With the new rules stipulating a much larger front chassis for the templates. (Rules figure 9) this on a basic chassis designs leads to a larger and rather ugly nose cone/I.A.
So with regards to this point on a pure styling point of view iv been taking influence from the KTM X-bow and super karts and started to think about having a full width nose cone.

What are peoples thoughts and views on this?

Also with regards to the new rules is anybody being brave and packaging their front wheels in front of the drivers feet?

James Morris
09-20-2008, 02:53 AM
With the new rules stipulating a much larger front chassis for the templates. (Rules figure 9) this on a basic chassis designs leads to a larger and rather ugly nose cone/I.A.
So with regards to this point on a pure styling point of view iv been taking influence from the KTM X-bow and super karts and started to think about having a full width nose cone.

What are peoples thoughts and views on this?

Also with regards to the new rules is anybody being brave and packaging their front wheels in front of the drivers feet?

D Collins Jr
09-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Noses are more than just style. If you make a full width nose like you've described, you will run into performance issues specificly with regard to flow. I would think that you would be better served by putting development into making the nose "look good" to your standards than to run it that wide. Also, a word to the wise from someone who sees front wings break, you will hit cones, and they will break whatever is sitting around in front of the tires.

screwdriver
09-21-2008, 03:23 PM
That car would look funny. You'd be creating a hammerhead kind of thing because as the previous poster pointed out, you will have to do something about cooling air flow, which in this case probably means packaging the coolers and thus the whole side-pods at the front of the car.

Wesley
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
We learned a hard lesson about looking pretty at the expense of blocking airflow to our sidepods

If it's pretty, and can't cool, it explodes in a firey ball.

Tilman
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
If it's pretty, and can't cool, it explodes in a firey ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Remember, if you do not finish, do not finish with style! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I think a nice fireball will to it ...

Wesley
09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, thats how we felt. It's way more impressive to have a fireball than a loose wire.

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif