PDA

View Full Version : Damping ratio

Amos
09-28-2004, 03:09 AM
I am currently trying to calculate the damping coefficient of our dampers from curves supplied. Critical damping is easy to find out... Ccrit = 2*sqrt(K*m). Most of my calcs for the damping coefficient end in a ratio of somewhere between 1 and 2.5 (using an absolute value of the complex damping coefficient).

Just wondering if anyone is working on these calcs at this late stage for the Aussie design report?

Either I can't code in MATLAB as good as i thought, or our valving is crap!!

Any input is appreciated, cheers.

Amos
09-28-2004, 03:09 AM
I am currently trying to calculate the damping coefficient of our dampers from curves supplied. Critical damping is easy to find out... Ccrit = 2*sqrt(K*m). Most of my calcs for the damping coefficient end in a ratio of somewhere between 1 and 2.5 (using an absolute value of the complex damping coefficient).

Just wondering if anyone is working on these calcs at this late stage for the Aussie design report?

Either I can't code in MATLAB as good as i thought, or our valving is crap!!

Any input is appreciated, cheers.

Denny Trimble
09-28-2004, 08:13 AM
You should try plotting force vs. velocity in consistent units, then for each point on the line find the slope from the origin (y / x), and scale this vs. the critical damping ratio. Then you'll have a plot of damping ratio vs. velocity. Shouldn't be linear...