PDA

View Full Version : Motec ECU Opinions

osubeaver
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Our team has previously used Haltech ECUs (the E6X and K models). This year, we would like more tuning flexability and have considered a higher end Haltech like the E11v2, but we have experienced poor customer service with Haltech in the past, and are tempted to go to another manufacturer. I know a lot of teams at competition use Motec ECUs, but I would like to hear some feedback from teams that have used Motec (good or bad). Thanks.

osubeaver
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Our team has previously used Haltech ECUs (the E6X and K models). This year, we would like more tuning flexability and have considered a higher end Haltech like the E11v2, but we have experienced poor customer service with Haltech in the past, and are tempted to go to another manufacturer. I know a lot of teams at competition use Motec ECUs, but I would like to hear some feedback from teams that have used Motec (good or bad). Thanks.

BeaverGuy
10-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm going to add a couple direct questions.

For the teams that have purchased a Motec system and the add in features. How many have purchased a second Motec ECU the next year to keep a running car? Also if you do this do you purchase the advanced features also, or import your maps from the ECU with the optional features to the other ECU and then use the optioned ECU on the new car?

Scott Harsila
10-08-2004, 03:18 PM
I am sure some of the current UW guys might chime in, as it has been a couple of years since doing much with MoTeC. From my 3 years experience with MoTeC hardware and customer support I could not have been happier. I feel it is the best on the market, but it certainly is not the cheapest. It will do pretty much anything you want to do if you open up your checkbook. I know a lot of teams like Performance Electronics for cost and top notch support. But again we have had very few MoTeC hardware problems, and when we did they were resolved quickly with helpful customer support. Most of the problems we had over the years were all installation and user errors.

We originally bought the M4Pro with advanced features(traction, lamba, launch, more memory), we did our original development and tuning with this unit. Then when the next year rolled around we bought the basic M4 for the old car and uploaded the map made with the M4Pro, then used the old car for driving and other testing(no advanced features), but no engine tuning. Since then the M4Pro always has been used for tuning on the dyno and new car due to the advanced features and increased datalogging memory.

Foote
10-08-2004, 04:08 PM
I have no experience with a motec, but i'm sure if you have the funding, that's the way to go.
I can tell you that Haltech has some terrible customer service, and we just unloaded one because of that. We switched to a Performance Electronics last year, which was much better. Brian helped us out enourmously before competition, and i saw him up around very late at night all through the event helping teams fine tune their systems.
There is also a rumor that their new computer will be out sometime this year, which will be capable of running an O2 sensor, as well as many data logging channels. If this proves true, i think there is very little reason to choose a motec.
that's my two cents
-Justin

Mark Peugeot
10-09-2004, 09:48 AM
The Motec is a great unit.

For years I was a Haltech Dealer and as such we are running a Haltech ECU this year. I personally have never had a problem with Haltech's support. I will admit that Haltech has had some serious problems (other than support) in the past. Haltech had shipping delays and a host of other issues that made being a dealer a hassle, but support has always been good.

Of course, the Motec is considerably more expensive than the Haltech. You could purchase 3-4 Haltech E6X's for the cost of the Motec. Our team is on a real tight budget... we have no money, so Haltech is the choice this year.

Mark
UTSA