PDA

View Full Version : 8 Inch Wheels

coleasterling
05-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm starting to research the use of an 8 inch wheel and tire. Were there any teams that ran 8's this year at Detroit? I believe WWU ran 8's back in the day, but I don't know of any teams that have done it recently...Probably due to lack of a proper compound.

StevenWebb
05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
i'd hate to try fit a decent upright inside an 8 inch wheel

if you really want some small tyres i'd try and pester avon to release their 6.0/16-10 to the public

AxelRipper
05-16-2011, 05:27 AM
I believe that only Hoosier and one other company (don't remember the brand) make 8" slicks. Not exactly easy to come by, and those are designed for some 3/4 scale stock car.

@steve: B6.3.1 The wheels of the car must be 203.2 mm (8.0 inches) or more in diameter.

Drew Price
05-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't karts do 8" wheels?

Kart tires are CHEAP too.

Kirk Feldkamp
05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Karts use 5" or 6" wheel diameters. I think 8" might be quarter midget territory, but I'm not sure.

-Kirk

cvargas
05-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Other than weight why would you want to do this? Is reducing the weight worth the possible loss in wheel stiffness as well as contact patch? I'm really not sure about the cons for this anyone want to enlighten me?

coleasterling
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, you have to weigh the reduction in rotating mass vs. the reduced contact patch, packaging issues, and other cons. The gain is pretty much just weight reduction. How much is the weight reduction worth in terms of points? I dunno.

PatClarke
05-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I am pretty sure the 8" minimum was to specifically outlaw the use of kart wheels and tyres.

Good luck finding appropriate tyres in 8" diameter and good luck designing an effective brake and suspension package (unless you plan on a beam axle car)

Cheers

Pat

Sormaz
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coleasterling:
Well, you have to weigh the reduction in rotating mass vs. the reduced contact patch, packaging issues, and other cons. The gain is pretty much just weight reduction. How much is the weight reduction worth in terms of points? I dunno. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you can also get heat into the tires a lot quicker

murpia
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:
I am pretty sure the 8" minimum was to specifically outlaw the use of kart wheels and tyres.

Good luck finding appropriate tyres in 8" diameter and good luck designing an effective brake and suspension package (unless you plan on a beam axle car)

Cheers

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the suspension could be OK if a multi-link setup was used instead of wishbones (think Audi A4 virtual steering axis). Brakes can be inboard of uprights.

But I've no idea where to get appropriate tyres...

Regards, Ian

AxelRipper
05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Anyone curious, they're apparently for Mini-Cup cars... Hoosier MC780 compound.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/otatire.htm

Mbirt
05-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Mr. AxelRipper,

The MC780 is on the firm end of the spectrum shown, while the LC0, common among 10" wheel teams, is the softest. If your team chose the MC780, everyone would be laughing at them instead of laughing with them.