PDA

View Full Version : weight jacking

mm davari
03-04-2006, 06:49 AM
can somebody tell me what is weight jacking and may be some interpretation abuot its behaviuor on FS?
i have read some books but i didnt face with this word .i see this word in this forum passages .
ill appreciate everyone who can help me or if you dont have enough time please refere me to any source that may help me.

mm davari
03-04-2006, 06:49 AM
can somebody tell me what is weight jacking and may be some interpretation abuot its behaviuor on FS?
i have read some books but i didnt face with this word .i see this word in this forum passages .
ill appreciate everyone who can help me or if you dont have enough time please refere me to any source that may help me.

Jersey Tom
03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I would have to think a book like Milliken's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics would cover jacking forces in depth.

Biggy72
03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
well if you're talking about a weight jack they are used in stock car racing quite a bit. It's where basically a coil spring cup is made to support the top of the spring and a small cup is placed on top of this to support a threaded rod. A nut is welded in the original upper coil spring bucket, and the threaded rod goes through this so to change the height and corner weights, all you have to do is screw the threaded rod up or down.

PatClarke
03-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Davari,
Weight jacking refers to the phenomenon where weight is transferred from one wheel to another. For instance weight will be transferred from the inside wheels to the outside wheels whilst cornering.
In some racecars (including some FSAE cars) the diagonal weight transfer while steering that is a side effect of front end of caster and SAI is used to reduce the need for a differential.
Research on this subject might be very worthwhile to a struggling new team from a country where stuff might be hard to get ;-)

Pat

95M3Racer
03-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Weight jackERS are devices used to adjust ride height on each individual corner. There are also Torsion Bar weight jackers. Hydrualic versions of both are available...so you can technically adjust ride height by very small increments while driving http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mm davari
03-06-2006, 03:00 AM
thanks everyone
as i get it, the weight jacking is another form of wieght transfer but in diagonal side.
isnt it?

PatClarke
03-06-2006, 03:49 AM
Davari, read what I said again.
Weight jacking is weight transfer, by whatever method.
The diagonal weight transfer created as a side effect of caster. kpi and scrub might be of interest to you.
Research man, research!

Pat

SpdRcr
03-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Weight Jacking occurs when you go to the all you can eat buffet more than 3 times.

Buckingham
03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
I have understood that 'jacking' typically refers to the vertical force component resulting from the difference between the internal roll center(dictated by suspension geometry) and the external roll center (the outer contact patch).