PDA

View Full Version : Opitical sensors

kovacs
10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey,

Im currently trying to find optical sensors for TCS. The ECU needs an input of 0-5 volts square wave. Anyone know where i can get something like this???

thanks guys,

tim

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
10-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi Tim,

Is there some reason why you want to run optical sensors? A gear tooth sensor like the one from Honeywell (1GT101DC) will work great if you are trying to sense shaft speed. All it needs is a ferrous material flying in front of it and it will output a square wave of whatever voltage you provide as power (5v). Try Newark (http://www.newark.com) to get them. We have a datasheet on our website if you need one.

PS What is TCS? ... Traction Control System?

kovacs
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Brian,

TCS = traction control system. As for a ferrous pick-up, i have thought about that. However, we don't run a live spindle (the spindles are stationary).

The only way that i can think of packaging the sensor with our uprights is having the sensor parrallel with the road. Do you know if its ok to have a 90 degree in our trigger wheel. so that i could package a ferrous pick-up laying down, instead of up and down.

Thats why i was looking into optical sensors. i would like to go with ferrous if i could....i just wasnt sure if it was ok to have the sensor on its side, instead of directly on top of the trigger wheel.

hope i havent confused you....

thanks,

tim

Colin
10-24-2005, 05:34 PM
There's not drama having the sensor perpendicular to the trigger wheel, specially with the GT101, that sensor will work with nearly anything. Best and cheapest way to make a trigger wheel is to get one laser cut

magicweed
10-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm designing the traction control system for our team this year, and hopefully my k.i.s.s. approach will work. Like Brian and Colin have said, the GT101 is an amazing sensor. Just make sure you have your spacing done to the spec, so that that signal is clean and usable. I just made up some wheels in autocad which should work. My roommate is going to have them CNC plasma cut at work. Hopefully they work out and UNH will be sporting adjustable traction control this spring when we hit Romeo.

kovacs
10-24-2005, 06:58 PM
thanks guys....appreciate the help

HenningO
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
We've run optical sensors on both our cars, had some minor problem with dirt in the "holes". But it's a lot cheaper then the GT101...

kovacs
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
i have been searching around for optical sensor's and i cant find any....what sensor did you use???