PDA

View Full Version : Engine Selection

davidtron
12-03-2005, 06:13 AM
At Newcastle University we are currently trying to choose our engine for 2007 entry. Can anyone recommend good websites which will tell me the mass of each engine.

Failing that does anyone know of a rough formula that gives your engine mass if you know the weight of the whole motorcycle?

davidtron
12-03-2005, 06:13 AM
At Newcastle University we are currently trying to choose our engine for 2007 entry. Can anyone recommend good websites which will tell me the mass of each engine.

Failing that does anyone know of a rough formula that gives your engine mass if you know the weight of the whole motorcycle?

Big Bird
12-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi David,

I doubt you will find a website that conveniently lists such info - search around on these forums and you will find some decent info on this topic. As a rough starting point, the base engine block for a 600/4 is around 60kg, and for a 450 single around 30kg. (Weights for base engine block without exhausts, intakes, etc). Individual engines may vary a couple of kilos around this, but that should be good enough for a starting point this early in your research.

More power to you for starting your research two years in advance.

Cheers