PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Sim

Adam P
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for good vehicle lap simulators and I came across a program called Chassis Sim. Has anybody used this program? If so, did it yield good results? Is it worth useing?

Thanks

Max Trenkle
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
You'll have to hear from others about Chassis Sim, but make sure you check out OptimumLap as well. Very useful, and it's free!

Adam P
01-10-2013, 05:47 AM
I have optimum lap already. It is a great program that I have been using for a while now. The problem with it is that is is very very simple. I exhausted all the advanced setting pretty quickly. Our team computer has Adam's Car on it but it is so complicated i have no idea how to use it. I am looking for a happy medium of ease of use and sophistication. Has any body actually used ChassisSim? Does it yield good results? Just want to know its worth it before purchasing any credits and spending a lot of time setting it up.

Spetsnazos
01-10-2013, 06:27 AM
I used it a bit, its not very intuitive...It definitely seems to trend in the right direction but I haven't had a chance to validate anything on it.

I think the creator has a ton of videos on youtube going over all sorts of subjects IIRC.

exFSAE
01-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Adam P:
The problem with it is that is is very very simple. I exhausted all the advanced setting pretty quickly. Our team computer has Adam's Car on it but it is so complicated i have no idea how to use it. I am looking for a happy medium of ease of use and sophistication.

Could always make your own, custom tailor it to whatever level you want, start simple and build on it, and learn a bunch in the process.

JulianH
01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
I agree with exFSAE.

We started our lapsim in September 2011 with a simple model (like OptimumLap) and then further developed it till June 2012 or so.

Now we are able to basically tweak every aspect of the car and the model contains basically all movements of the car.

Our guys used Matlab/Simulink for the whole process.

But I guess for the most design decisions, Optimum Lap should give you a good idea, what's worth a try.

AxelRipper
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I've worked with Chassis Sim a bit in class, but haven't done a whole lot with it. It is incredibly in depth and is used a lot in OEM, so there's a lot of it that you really don't need for FSAE in there. That being said, if you can get it to work, it works great and talking with people who use it in industry it is also quite accurate (at least for production car development).

Drew Price
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Lotus Software used to give some of their software free to FSAE teams, though I haven't directly compared their Lap Sim software to OptimumLap, but they are probably pretty similar.

Might be worth investigating.