PDA

View Full Version : SAE standards

rani
08-22-2010, 06:54 AM
hello, I am a first wear member an I need help... can anybody use the sae standards(not rules) for design the driver's seat and the harness?

me and my team mate found that there are standards of the sae that my be very usful for designing...

I searched in the entire forum and found nothing..

I just noticed that nobody really think about it..

Thank you...
ran

rani
08-22-2010, 06:54 AM
hello, I am a first wear member an I need help... can anybody use the sae standards(not rules) for design the driver's seat and the harness?

me and my team mate found that there are standards of the sae that my be very usful for designing...

I searched in the entire forum and found nothing..

I just noticed that nobody really think about it..

Thank you...
ran

Mikey Antonakakis
08-22-2010, 08:15 AM
The harness is dictated by the rules, as is most of the design of the driver's seat....

Damon Pipenberg
08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
As Mikey said, you obviously need to follow the FSAE rules for the harness and seat. I do think that SAE has some standards for ergonomics, which could possibly help you to design the seat and cockpit of your car. However, those are really for street cars, and I am not sure if they would be helpful for a race car - the seating position is completely different. It is quite difficult to design ergonomics in on paper or in CAD - you are probably better off spending the time to build a mock cockpit.

Bemo
08-23-2010, 02:29 AM
That would be my advice too. Have a look on other FSAE cars what seats are made of etc.
For the seating position a mock cockpit is the only way to make sure that your car will be comfortable to drive later and also you can try, if the templates fit.

In fact you can make the seat itself from composites, foam etc. You have to figure out the advantages and disadvanteges yourself!

And as said before, the driver's harness is strictly dictated by the rules. You have to buy one and fix it in your chassis in a rules compliant way and that's it.

Don't underestimate the rules. Regarding seat and harness they don't give you a lot of choice and showing up at competition with a cockpit that is not compliant with the rules will be a big pain in the ass!