PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

mogwai
02-19-2012, 12:33 AM
I've gone through all the basic parts of the Double Wishbone Suspension, how it works, the general terms associated with it! What should be my next step as a Vehicle Dynamics member of my team?

mogwai
02-19-2012, 12:33 AM
I've gone through all the basic parts of the Double Wishbone Suspension, how it works, the general terms associated with it! What should be my next step as a Vehicle Dynamics member of my team?

wagemd
02-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Simple... Read RCVD (Racecar Vehicle Dynamics). Twice. Apply to your car. Read again. Re-apply.

exFSAE
02-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Ask your Vehicle Dynamics lead engineer, or lead project engineer, what they want you to do next. Not us.

Ben K
02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Tire dynamics based on the TTC. Study other vehicles to see what they do to give you a baseline. Etc etc etc.

Good luck.

Ben

mogwai
02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm currently working on Shock Absorbers Handbook by Dixon as suggested by my Vehicle Dynamics Senior Head, could anyone suggest some good sites, books, links related to the shock absorbers?

rmk36
02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mogwai:
I'm currently working on Shock Absorbers Handbook by Dixon as suggested by my Vehicle Dynamics Senior Head </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you, I would first learn about the basics of vehicle dynamics before you focus on just shock absorbers.

Ben K
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mogwai:
I'm currently working on Shock Absorbers Handbook by Dixon as suggested by my Vehicle Dynamics Senior Head, could anyone suggest some good sites, books, links related to the shock absorbers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a fantastic 'sticky' note at the top with recommended reads. You could also read the "to-win" series by Carroll Smith.

RobbyObby
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm currently working on Shock Absorbers Handbook by Dixon as suggested by my Vehicle Dynamics Senior Head, could anyone suggest some good sites, books, links related to the shock absorbers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe Daniel did just that a few posts ago. "Think Fast" by Neil Roberts is a good read if you wanna learn how a shock absorber works, and have no previous knowledge of them (which judging by this post, I assume you don't).

On a side note: damn I wish we had enough people to have a dedicated Vehicle Dynamics team and not just me and our suspension lead figure it all out on our own. But then again, you don;t learn by being spoon fed information, now do ya?

exFSAE
02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobbyObby:
On a side note: damn I wish we had enough people to have a dedicated Vehicle Dynamics team and not just me and our suspension lead figure it all out on our own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This kind of thing unfortunately often doesn't change when you graduate.