PDA

View Full Version : Bearings

Tec
11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Is is possible to use taper roller bearings in rear uprights? And what is difference for using single and double row bearings?
Thx

Tec
11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Is is possible to use taper roller bearings in rear uprights? And what is difference for using single and double row bearings?
Thx

kwancho
11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes it's possible. If you use single, you're going to want two spaced apart with a preload spacer inbetween them. If you use double row, make sure the spacing between the rows is sufficient to take the moment from the row. Or, be overkill like us and use huge 0.9lb double row deep grove ball bearings off a VW rabbit.

drivetrainUW-Platt
11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
What do you mean by a preload spacer? A set thickness bushing between the bearings so that they get tightened to that preload every time? If so I like that, but how do you figure out how thick to make that part, would it be included in the specs from the bearing manufacturer?

Jersey Tom
11-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Lot of teams use overbuilt bearings. We did for many years (the ones you can buy from Pegasus that are from a FF or somethin, 1 lb double row angular contact ball bearings).

There's a good bit in Prepare to Win about wheel bearing setup. Check it out.

If you use single row bearings.. USE TWO OF THEM PER WHEEL. You'd think this would be obvious, but you'd be surprised.

Personally I think taper roller bearings are all pretty heavy unless you're using a shaft diameter < 30mm. I'm a big fan of double row angular contact ball bearings.. though it took me some time to track down a good light one.

Be mindful of how much you're preloading your bearings when you assemble your hub or put on your wheel. A 3/4" bolt to 120ftlbs is a damn lot of load.. enough to burn up your bearings way quick.

kwancho
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I was just bemoaning the other day that I'd done all this work to get our uprights in the 1.5lb range, and our bearing weighed 2/3 that. ><