PDA

View Full Version : Diff Literature

Conor
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm looking for the Carroll Smith book that has the most information about differentials. I would love to by the whole "To Win" set, but I'm pretty broke. I'm most interested in literature about the drivetrain and differential. Can somebody please point me to the best book for this? Thanks!

Conor
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm looking for the Carroll Smith book that has the most information about differentials. I would love to by the whole "To Win" set, but I'm pretty broke. I'm most interested in literature about the drivetrain and differential. Can somebody please point me to the best book for this? Thanks!

JerryLH3
09-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Tune to Win has the most on differentials, but it is only three pages. Each book has about 7-8 pages on drivetrain, and now that I just browsed through it again, most of it seems the same in each book.

EfiOz
09-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Drive to win has the most comprehensive and current write up on diffs.

absolutepressure
09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Automotive Engineering Fundamentals seems to be a really good book. I rented it from the library and only got to chapter 2 so far. The book follows the path of power through the car, starting at the engine, and ending at the tires. I think it's a great way to organize a book. It says right in the preface that this book was created in part for FSAE and Baja. I'm guessing that the professors who wrote it were or still are advisors. Chapter one gives a very interesting history of the automobile. Did you know that there were two times in history when Ford could have been part of GM? Boy, wouldn't that be weird.
The book does say, though, that it is intended for junior level students due to the content. I thought ah, what the hell, I enjoy teaching myself material before I learn it in class (I'm a sophomore), I'm a quick learner. Yeah....turns out trying to learn thermo when they expect you to have a good basic knowledge of it already is harder than I thought. What the hell are those cloud graphs for? What the hell is Q?
But anyway, from what I've seen it's a good book, and they have a whole unit devoted to drivetrain, there has to be something good in there about diffs.

Garlic
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
If you're too poor to buy a book, but would like to read it, there's a new government program where they house thousands off books in one place. You can check them out for free, and read them anywhere.

I'd bet your Uni has this program in place.

JerryLH3
09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EfiOz:
Drive to win has the most comprehensive and current write up on diffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely forgot about that one. I'm not sure why, it's where he mentions the Mazda RX-7 Turbo is his favorite road car.

Conor
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Way ahead of you. University library doesn't have any of the "to win" series. I can't say I blame them either...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garlic:
If you're too poor to buy a book, but would like to read it, there's a new government program where they house thousands off books in one place. You can check them out for free, and read them anywhere.

I'd bet your Uni has this program in place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>