PDA

View Full Version : hookes joints instead of cvs?

sharukh
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
hi there,

the reason v use cv joints is coz in front whl drive cars the steering n power is in d front, while at the back only a hookes jt(universal coupling) is used?

is this a good idea? has any1 tried it?

sharukh
Dirvetrain
Orion Racing

sharukh
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
hi there,

the reason v use cv joints is coz in front whl drive cars the steering n power is in d front, while at the back only a hookes jt(universal coupling) is used?

is this a good idea? has any1 tried it?

sharukh
Dirvetrain
Orion Racing

Rex
02-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Maybe I'm just old and grumpy (a distinct possibility), but I am so tired of reading posts like this...

The reason "v" try to use proper spelling "n" grammar is "coz" it makes it easier for people to understand what "v" are saying, and is generally considered polite.

"U" should try it; "u" might like it. "Any1" can do it with a bit of effort. The key to good communication is in "d" details.

In all seriousness, doing your best to communicate in English when you have limited English skills is one thing, but being lazy just makes me disinterested in responding even if I do happen to have helpful information to share on a topic. You'll probably get much better responses if you make an effort to write more clearly.

the weldmeister
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
hahahah.. very well said, my friend!!
I totally relate to your irritation at incorrect spelling and grammar...

But how about a helpful reply for guys who need it more than a language lesson?

Rex
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes, yes...helpful response... Here's my 2 cents toward a helpful response-

I have always liked CVs for the fact that they're easy to implement. They have a wide range of length variability (i.e. driveshaft with knuckle bearing can slide a couple inches within the inboard CV) making packaging for full suspension travel fairly easy. Also you don't have to worry about aligning them properly (remember U-joints have an angular speed variance if they aren't lined up correctly in pairs) because that's their purpose - to provide constant output velocity as compared to input velocity. Not that it should be difficult to align them properly during your fabrication process if you did decide to use them, but for a first year team I would take any ease-of-manufacture advantage I could get. One less thing to worry about.

I'm sure others have different opinions.

sharukh
02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
rex

i got ur point abt the ease part, but v dnt get d bolt on type of cv jt u guys get in d US. plus the ones v get here r from stock cars n r real heavy n bulky.

2 u jts have to align themselves at equal angles. wat i wantd ws feedback abt how they r in transmittin power- coz trucks have bn usin hotchkiss dirves 4 years, n still continu 2 do so.

thanks

sharukh
Drivetrain
Orion Racing

billywight
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i got ur point abt the ease part, but v dnt get d bolt on type of cv jt u guys get in d US. plus the ones v get here r from stock cars n r real heavy n bulky.

2 u jts have to align themselves at equal angles. wat i wantd ws feedback abt how they r in transmittin power- coz trucks have bn usin hotchkiss dirves 4 years, n still continu 2 do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.

Boston
02-03-2007, 07:30 AM
This forum is really starting to blow.

Drew Price
02-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Now I can't decide what to think after the second post, but Orion Racing is in Bombay, India. Could very well be language barrier.

Or a sense of humor.

Agree on the axial travel advantage of CV joints. Not worrying about binding anything in that direction is nice.

Best,
Drew

Diablo_niterider
02-05-2007, 03:35 AM
i feel hookes joint may cause vibrations at high speeds .

" a racecar is a group of equations , if its good looking its not my fault "

the weldmeister
02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
Now I can't decide what to think after the second post, but Orion Racing is in Bombay, India. Could very well be language barrier.

Or a sense of humor.

Agree on the axial travel advantage of CV joints. Not worrying about binding anything in that direction is nice.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a combination of extreme laziness, a twisted sense of humour, degradation of spelling and grammar due to overuse of short forms and abbreviations in text messages, apart from a total lack of consideration for people reading the post.

Rex
02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Just letting you know that I see your post and am choosing not to expend the effort to decipher it or respond.

Does anyone else remember back when this forum was good? I do... I miss those days.

I haven't been to competition in 4 years now, so stuff like this makes me scared to see what has changed when I get there again this May. I can only hope what's happened to this forum isn't a reflection of the competition as a whole.

Rex
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
OK, just one more thing, then I promise I'm done here...never to suggest that anyone write properly online ever again. Really. I promise.
Copied PM follows.

hey rex,
things change, n if u dnt change with them, u get extinct lik the dinosaurs. short forms are the new thing on the net n evrywhr else.
if u cant undrstnd, get a cel phone, start textin ppl n "get with it". nxt time if u cant say anythn useful, dnt say it at all
sharukh

While I won't respond as I will not engage in some sort of debate about stupid stuff, and will not post in this thread again as I'm unfortunately now contributing to the lack of technical discussion on the forum these days, I do take offense at being told to "get with it." Perhaps this public airing of this message will influence others' desire to deal with this individual in the future.

I'm out. Rex.

pengulns2001
02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
sharukh no one is going to take you seriously if you continue to post like that

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Unless you are texting messages to this forum, then use more then 9 buttons to type, it is not only lazy but unprofessional!!!
FYI design judges read through these forums too!
This isnt your honda POWAH chat room, this a college level disscussion board.

ben
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:

FYI design judges read through these forums too!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes we do :-)

Seriously (directed at the OP) - would you talk to your boss like that when asking a question at work? If so, I worry for your future in engineering.

Ben