PDA

View Full Version : getting started with the steering

Aziz
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
hi

i am designing the steering system and was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how to get started.
i am competing for the first time and to be honest, i feel a little lost so a little guidance of sorts would be really appreciated.

Aziz
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
hi

i am designing the steering system and was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how to get started.
i am competing for the first time and to be honest, i feel a little lost so a little guidance of sorts would be really appreciated.

JD232
10-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello Aziz...

If you are starting from absolute zero I would suggest you go to wikipedia.org
Thats the starting point for everything. Then search on the web, and acquire as many books as you can through library or purchase.

Its alright to be feeling little lost, people over here are hardcore techies, they are relentless. They dont like it if you want spoon feeding or the knowledge that you can find in books or the web.

Anyway write more details of your team, where are you from?

Silverback

P.S. I dont think its a very good idea to seprate steering from chassis and suspension team, if thats what you have done.

Christopher Catto
10-10-2007, 12:44 AM
its a decent idea to spread the load, so one guy doing steering, one wishbones, one say uprights etc. Just try to work in the same room at all time, go to lectures together, have beers together. That way the car wont be a heap of shit and all the parts will work together nicely. Also, dont be obstinate in your decision. Always get team leader to resolve any issues/friction. You want to make the suspension efficiently, not to F1 standards but ready in 4 yrs.

As for starting point, a simple book is Competition car suspension by Allan Staniforth. Has imperial units so be careful with conversions!! Then get Race Car Vehicle Dynamics from the library and read the chapter on kinematics.