PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt vs Performance Electronics

Alan_RHIT
06-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I know there are topics on this but I just wanted to know what it would take to run a megasquirt II board on CBR600F4i (Parts, Directions, Any Info). Is this going to be very complicated? But if we got it how much more work would it take to modify the board to do traction control and launch control? Or what would be the advantage of just getting a PE board and going that route? Does the PE board do sequential or batch injector? The megasquirt board would be assembled by an expert so no worries there.

Mikey Antonakakis
06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Alan_RHIT:
I know there are topics on this but I just wanted to know what it would take to run a megasquirt II board on CBR600F4i (Parts, Directions, Any Info). Is this going to be very complicated? But if we got it how much more work would it take to modify the board to do traction control and launch control? Or what would be the advantage of just getting a PE board and going that route? Does the PE board do sequential or batch injector? The megasquirt board would be assembled by an expert so no worries there.
If you are indeed comfortable with the wiring and all that, I recommend the megasquirt, it has more features and a better UI. The PE is dead simple and will get the job done though.

Mbirt
06-15-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm sure an engineering juggernaut such as Rose-Hulman is teeming with students capable of sorting out the extremely well-documented megasquirt system. It's not bad at all. The megamanual has never failed to provide me with any info that I've needed.

I'm also a bit shocked that RHIT is going with a 4-cylinder. I'd like to see a school with resources such as yours take on the challenge of taming an Ape or another less-established powertrain. Look at UM-Dearborn for instance--taking on a challenge and excelling with limited resources. But I'm sure I don't know your team's full story...

Look forward to competing in the future!

moose
06-15-2010, 07:01 AM
To answer some of the original question - PE is batch injection only, to the best of my remaining knowledge. Advantage of the PE is great support from Brian & the PE team as well as a dead simple, nearly plug and play system. You lose some flexibility/customization by going that route - so its a tradeoff that makes sense depending on what the entire car's electronics/timeline will look like.