PDA

View Full Version : CAN Bus Standards for EM Interference ??

EgyptianMagician
10-15-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey Boys and Girls,

I just gave my Thesis 1 (like senior report kinda dealy, still undergrad) oral presentation yesterday.

Anyway, one of the profs had the question of asking if I'd considered the EMI factor during ignition and just during normal running, I said that I haden't yet, however that was the next 'step' and that I had a series of tests planned, which I do, while the engine is on the engine stand.

Are people finding it enough to use shielded cabling or is it worth diving into the CAN bus standard? Either way, I've started and will continue reading, just curious to see other people's ideas.

EgyptianMagician
10-15-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey Boys and Girls,

I just gave my Thesis 1 (like senior report kinda dealy, still undergrad) oral presentation yesterday.

Anyway, one of the profs had the question of asking if I'd considered the EMI factor during ignition and just during normal running, I said that I haden't yet, however that was the next 'step' and that I had a series of tests planned, which I do, while the engine is on the engine stand.

Are people finding it enough to use shielded cabling or is it worth diving into the CAN bus standard? Either way, I've started and will continue reading, just curious to see other people's ideas.

Igor
10-15-2004, 05:50 AM
That depends on what you want to use your wiring for. If you plan on sending a lot of data I would definitely go CAN bus. Your engine management usually works fine without any fancy stuff though.
Just get one of your EE's to look at it, he should be able to tell you where to expect trouble.

Igor

Trans Am
10-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I have not had any interference with the CAN communications that we use (they are unshielded). However, we have had some interference with the PIC Microcontrollers from injector noise, the CAN communications still remained strong. In my opinion, use CAN, if you can.

-Trans Am Jake.

Colin
10-18-2004, 02:46 AM
we've never had a problem with the CAN bus and we've only ever used twisted wire not shielded, however we have had major interferance from the starter motor solenoid to some steering wheel switches that are connected to a microcontroller so watch our for that one, caus it only took us about 4 hours to find http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
cheers