PDA

View Full Version : Not bringing the car to comp...

rjwoods77
05-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey everyone,

University at Buffalo decided not to bring the car to competition this year after all the crazy all nighters we pulled to get it there. The simple fact was that we have a team of freshmen and four departing seniors and since the car nor the freshmen weren't really quite ready to give a quality showing of what we are really capable of, it was decided to hold off until next year. If we did show up it would have been a nightmare of "oh this doesn't work all of a sudden" because of no testing time. It would have been unfair to the new kids, if not an impossible situation of making a new car when it took knowledgeable people so long dealing with our lack of pretty much everything. We are posting pics in the gallery area for you all to check out if you are intersted. I will later include some videos of how the car sounds running.

On a personal note I would like to thank all of you that have supported me and my brash demeanor as well as those who have punished me for it. The new guys we have found this year have show the "right stuff" and I cant thank them enough for inspiring me to work harder. I really think that next year will be the year that our team as a whole breaks the depressing cycle of "would have, should have, could have". I will be at comp this year since I heard so many people were looking for me last year. My cell number is 1-585-615-8474. Feel free to call me and find me for the people who helped me out.

Pictures Of Our Car (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8341259@N03/?saved=1)

Rob Woods (I am in the ugly blue fleece)

JR @ CFS
05-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Brave decision which I am sure was only made after many hours of deliberation! Only advise is;

Test it, break it, fix it, test it, break it,...

Get yourself a DAQ and start measuring! The more you measure and interpret, the more you can understand and the more you can talk about when you get to the comp!

We are just starting this phase for FSUK!

BryanH
05-17-2007, 05:51 AM
I've seen a lot worse Rob, pity about the lawnmower engine but.
I think I can see the problem, only 3 team members are in proper race team shorts and someone found time to powdercote, get a haircut, paint and sticker up but forgot to finish the car first!
Drum up some funds and come to OZ in December
Cheers
RMIT fan club

SpdRcr
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by BryanH:
I've seen a lot worse Rob, pity about the lawnmower engine but.
I think I can see the problem, only 3 team members are in proper race team shorts and someone found time to powdercote, get a haircut, paint and sticker up but forgot to finish the car first!
Drum up some funds and come to OZ in December
Cheers
RMIT fan club

Could not have said that any better!!!

Rob, how much does the car weigh (and steering rack gearing) and can you shed some light on how it is to actually drive that car with the steering wheel at the angle it is.

rjwoods77
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
The steering wheel is 55 degrees off of horizontal and fits all drivers quite well. There is no steering rack gearing or 90 degree reducer. The rack is rotated 35 degrees off of horizontal so the steering shaft is a straight shot to the rack. We still put a U-joint in there for slight misalignments. The steering is super smooth but then again that is steering just sitting int he parking lot. It works very well with all drivers as we tested it all out and I understand it isn't the standard steering setup but none of our car is the same as you can see. Just because it doesn't look like it makes sense to you doesnt mean it works nice. I just watched a Dearborn smoke most of the "standard" cars today with 42 hp and a ballzy driver in the autocross. There is absolutley nothing standard about that car but it seems to work just fine. You might want to check you attitude about something that doesnt look like all the other cars out there. The drivers dont lean back as far as they look because the full seat wasn't in. We will weigh it on Monday but I think it is around a very fat 400lbs.

rjwoods77
05-24-2007, 02:29 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sqztOLYcwek

This was the engine running before we left for comp.