PDA

View Full Version : Single piece aluminum seat.

RollingCamel
06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I have seen in "Race and custom car sheet metal fabricator's handbook" a seat made of 1.6mm single piece aluminum sheet. However, i wonder how they did it without causing warpage. We thought of using some of the extra pipes we have to make the angles and contours and bend the seat over it. They tried first on a thin sheet but they had to make cuts but the result wasn't good especially that the guy responsible didn't do his job right and take acceptable dimensions.

Dash
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
We tried making one this year, and it didn't turn out too great. Where it was cut to remove material for bends, we welded back together. In all honesty, it would have worked, but it didn't look pretty, and probably wouldn't have been very comfortable. Ended up making a complicated mold and laying carbon fiber down. It only took three days and turned out fairly well. Although it was a little rough on the back of the driver's arms. ( didn't make it quite wide enough )

RollingCamel
06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
According to the book it was "surprisingly comfortable". Probably, because 1.6mm of aluminum isn't that rigid. It was seamless one piece aluminum and i wonder how they did it. Was it pressed and allowed to stretch somehow..?

AxelRipper
06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
well if you have the metal working equipment, it IS possible to do it. Look up videos of guys making fenders or metal patches on english wheels and air hammers. I would imagine it would be done the same way for a seat.

Gleno
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Aluminium seats can be very comfortable if the Hong Kong subway seats are anything to go by http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Just got back from a holiday and was absolutely supreised at how comfortabe they were.