PDA

View Full Version : torque on steering column

steeringman
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
yo

any1 know an accurate formula for the torque on a steering column?

i have used a few already but i am not getting the expedted results suggested on 'pats corner'

...help!!

Mumpitz
12-08-2010, 08:40 AM
r cross F
Steering wheel radius * the force one pucker assed driver can generate while finding the steering stop.

Mehul Botadra
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
This is like probably the dumbest question which I learnt in my 9th grade! :|

BillCobb
12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
The column torque ought to be close to zero if properly designed. The steering shaft torque on the other hand ought to be the sum of the tire induced torques plus the caster and kingpin inclination angles effects.

DougMilliken
12-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by BillCobb:
... The steering shaft torque on the other hand ought to be the sum of the tire induced torques plus the caster and kingpin inclination angles effects.
If these terms are not familiar, "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" may help--read Chapter 19 Steering Systems. Then read it again.

Mehul Botadra
12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DougMilliken:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillCobb:
... The steering shaft torque on the other hand ought to be the sum of the tire induced torques plus the caster and kingpin inclination angles effects.
If these terms are not familiar, "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" may help--read Chapter 19 Steering Systems. Then read it again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rather get a 10th grade Physics text book. :|