PDA

View Full Version : About the connection of the u-joint.

Joey xuan
11-21-2012, 03:40 AM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/SUM-770650.jpg
hello anyone,I wanna buy this u-joint,but the information I could get is too little to know about the u-joint.
Can you tell me how to connect the u-joint and the steering column?(screw-nut connection?or pegging?)

jd74914
11-21-2012, 04:54 AM
You can connect it any way you would like. You can weld (not reccomended), pin using asing a taper or rolled pin, or bolt them to your tubing. I would recomend the non-permanant bolt of pin method in case you ever need to remove the joint.

To make a slop free joint you will need to weld a sleeve into the the tube you are attaching the joint to give a larger bearing surface. For the ultimate in tolerancing, you'll want to ream the holes. See Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win" for a picture of the correct way to do this.

jlangholzj
11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Joey xuan:
Thanks for your brilliant reply.I have thought about the non-permanant bolt of pin method.But I want to know if the hole on the u-joint would be out of shape.And the deformation would cause the steering gar cleanrance.This is the factor we consider most.
Did you run into this problem? Thanks again.

If you use a taper-pin, there is a ream (reem? sp...ahw hell) that you'll have to use to create the tapered hole. We use these in our apex joints and they work great

Joey xuan
11-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by jd74914:
You can connect it any way you would like. You can weld (not reccomended), pin using asing a taper or rolled pin, or bolt them to your tubing. I would recomend the non-permanant bolt of pin method in case you ever need to remove the joint.

To make a slop free joint you will need to weld a sleeve into the the tube you are attaching the joint to give a larger bearing surface. For the ultimate in tolerancing, you'll want to ream the holes. See Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win" for a picture of the correct way to do this.

Thanks for your brilliant reply.I have thought about the non-permanant bolt of pin method.But I want to know if the hole on the u-joint would be out of shape.And the deformation would cause the steering gar cleanrance.This is the factor we consider most.
Did you run into this problem? Thanks again.

SteveHarasym
11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
In the past, our team has used two spring pins at each connection. You can size them based on bearing/shear stresses given whatever torque you are designing to. There has never been a lot of play in the column as a result of these, plus they are simple and lighter than bolting.

Joey xuan
11-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SteveHarasym:
In the past, our team has used two spring pins at each connection. You can size them based on bearing/shear stresses given whatever torque you are designing to. There has never been a lot of play in the column as a result of these, plus they are simple and lighter than bolting.

Thank you very much.But we care most is stiffness and clearance.And you said they worked well,so I wanna have a try.
Can you show me some pictures of your connections of the u-joint.