PDA

View Full Version : Problems in running a CBR600 F4i

LoWrIdEr
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone.
We are running a CBR600 F4i engine (2002) model on our Formula Student UK car. We are comtrolling our fuelling via an aftermarket ECU from Race Dynamics, and our sparking via the stock ECU. We have been facing a multitude of puzzling problems and are not sure how to clear them.

First of all, our engine is capable of starting up normally with no problems at all, and it does that about 60% of the time. Sometimes, however, the sound made by the engine worsens and the engine refuses to revv above 8500 rpm, even at wide open throttle. We have checked the sparking through all 4 coils and found it to be slightly irregular, even after using brand new spark plugs and coils. Also there seems to be no apparent leakage in the air intake, which seems to have been a common reason for similar problems faced by other teams.

The second problem is that our starter motor seems to be drawing excessive current for no apparent reason. We are using a 12V 18Ah battery, and are able to crank the engine only about 5-6 times before the crank rpm drops low. In fact at times the battery voltage drops so low during cranking that the power to the stock ECU gets cut off and there is no spark. The rectifier has been replaced and seems to be functioning properly in the sense that the battery voltage returns to normal levels after running the engine for a while.

If anyone has had any experiences of this sort, or has solved a similar problem, their help will be greatly appreciated

Wesley
07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
First thing I'd check is your engine ground - make sure it's well grounded to the chassis, and you have a good chassis to battery ground.

Second of all, how does your fueling ECU reference the crankshaft position? sounds like it's not checking if you're on compression or exhaust stroke, and you're 360 degrees off half of the time, and right the other half.