PDA

View Full Version : Differential Lube

Conor
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
We're trying to build our car for this years competition and we're using a differential off an old car. The old team somewhat dismantled and didn't leave much for our new team to go from. We don't know what kind of differential we have, but we're sure of one thing, and that is that they definetely didn't use the right kind of lubricant in it when they assembled. I'm trying to find out the right lubricant to put in after I clean it out. Can somebody let me know what their team uses so I can go buy some? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Conor
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
We're trying to build our car for this years competition and we're using a differential off an old car. The old team somewhat dismantled and didn't leave much for our new team to go from. We don't know what kind of differential we have, but we're sure of one thing, and that is that they definetely didn't use the right kind of lubricant in it when they assembled. I'm trying to find out the right lubricant to put in after I clean it out. Can somebody let me know what their team uses so I can go buy some? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

KU_Racing
01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Conor, try to figure out what type of diff you have (brand). If you can find that out, just call the company and ask them. If not, find out the style (clutch type, torsen type, open, cam and pawl, etc.) and you should be able to order diff-style-specific oil from any diff company or retailer

drivetrainUW-Platt
01-20-2006, 08:28 PM
would an atv cam and pawl with no clutch packs/friction disks survive on grease?

pengulns2001
01-20-2006, 08:54 PM
yes, probably not reccomended but ive seen them last like that for more than a year