PDA

View Full Version : Standard Impact Attenuator

AvinashJagtap
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi,
Have anyone bought the Standard Impact Attenuator material Dow Impaxx® 700 from BSCI,Inc. ?

I am looking forward to buy one but have some questions regarding it.

Are they providing with the required dimension of the Impact Attenuator or just a block of raw material? Since judges will ask for a sample of the material at the event.

And what other docs are provided by them?

If any team has bought Dow Impaxx® 700 for IA please upload a picture if possible.

Michael Royce
03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Avinash,
On the SAE web site is says "However, Dow Impaxx® 700 PRE-CUT TO THE TYPE 11 SHAPE is available for US$150 each plus shipping from BSCI Energy Impact Systems (contact information below). Pricing and availability are subject to change and are at the sole discretion of BSCI Energy Impact Systems." Which is pretty clear, right?? Also, it does NOT say that the "judges" will require the team to show a sample of the material, only that they must have a receipt for the material from the current competition year.

Michael Royce.

PS. BSCI also have approved roll bar padding that fits 1.0 inch OD tubing, which is very hard to find. And, in case people are wondering, I do NOT have any business connection to BSCI. It is just that they have been supporters of FSAE for the past 2-3- years.

CatSplat
03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
We got ours the other day, I'll try to remember to take a picture of it for you when I get back to the shop this afternoon.

Crispy
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Michael Royce:
Also, it does NOT say that the "judges" will require the team to show a sample of the material, only that they must have a receipt for the material from the current competition year.

The FSG website indicates that a test piece is required. I wonder if the piece bolted to the front of your car would count http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Michael Royce
03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Chris,
I was going by what is in the official FSAE Rules. You will have to ask Frank R. and Ulf S. what they will accept. However, as the whole idea, I believe, behind the "standard" IA is so teams do not have to test, the FSAE Rules say you do NOT have to test the IA IF you have the "Standard" impact attenuator (and that means one of the correct material made to the correct dimensions), and as the standard IA will cost you $150 plus S & H, it seems a bit much to ask for a sample of the material as well as a receipt. Where would you get a sample if the IA comes from BSCI pre shaped? However, that is just my opinion. Only Frank and Ulf can give you an official answer.

AvinashJagtap
03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
@ CatSplat

Can you please tell me how did made the payment for it?

I mean did you paid on website via card or by any other means?

Crispy
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks Mr. Royce.

We won't be using the standard IA. I just thought it was a noteworthy discrepancy between events.

spierson
03-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CatSplat:
We got ours the other day, I'll try to remember to take a picture of it for you when I get back to the shop this afternoon.

We got ours as well, with no receipt. I personally was really disappointed with what we received. A 3 year old could have done a better job. I'll post some pictures of ours today.

spierson
03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by AvinashJagtap:
@ CatSplat

Can you please tell me how did made the payment for it?

I mean did you paid on website via card or by any other means?

We had our purchasing department call them and give them a credit card number to charge to. They're pretty friendly.

spierson
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
h t t p s : / / picasaweb.google.com/spierson1337/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJb3ptW9noXPOQ&feat=directlink

Francis Gagné
03-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Steve, have you glued the three parts together yet? We received ours late this week and were a bit surprised. Im wondering what bonding system can be used without attacking the foam.

The Dow website mentions pressure sensitive tapes and hotmelt but nothing about any glue.

We had asked for an additionnal piece to make test samples, we will do this sonn. I'll keep this posted here.

Thank you,

spierson
03-12-2011, 12:21 PM
We received ours glued together already. I'm not sure what was used to adhere them though.

AvinashJagtap
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I tried to buy this IA from BSCI. They are asking for my credit card number and SECURITY CODE.
So is it safe to provide them with these details via email?
Have any team did this before?

Michael Royce
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Avinash,
I have dealt with Matt Ray at BSCI for a couple of years, and trust him.

moose
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
As a general CC security concern, when in doubt, you can also often create a temporary number / ID through your online user account. Then it's setup for one time use but in the case of a problem or security breach you don't have to get a new card and there is no risk beyond the first transaction. I don't know enough about credit cards to say if those types of temporary numbers create other problems with certain transactions (especially if international) but it's something you could ask your card company (I know Citi used to offer it for me, haven't used or tried in a few years)

GeetFsae
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I am in a bit of a confusion on this...
I've submitted my Credit Card Number and I've been
requested to remit my payment.
The Invoice reads ""return this with the payment""
&& "make payment with the invoice"

The payment is awaited and i'm wondering how am i supposed to pay?
I've not even been provided with their bank A/C number to either transfer it online or through money voucher.

How am i supposed to pay them? because mr. luke ray seems disinterested to explain...plus hez unwilling to change the pincode mistakes in the invoice.
Help!

Jshaw6000
04-27-2011, 02:29 PM
We purchased ours with a Credit Card.

For those who have it, how are you mounting it? Bolts? Adhesive?

Shields
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
The biggest thing to sort out with the standard is in fact mounting. I believe we are using some form or bolting system.

If you have any concerns with emailing credit card information (which I most certainly would never recommend), just call them and give them the information over the phone.

GeetFsae
04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Jshaw6000:
We purchased ours with a Credit Card.

For those who have it, how are you mounting it? Bolts? Adhesive?

i already mailed him the Credit Card Info. But it's a Temporary generated Credit Card. HDFC
he replied with the invoice and asked to pay... now where to pay ...what to pay into? what a/c .. where... hez not telling..

buggaero
04-28-2011, 04:11 AM
we faced similar problems

Swayam Ray
05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi Francis Gagné, please tell me, how did u guys stick the 3 pieces and how to mount it on to the anti intrusion plate?? I got my Std. IA y'day, and
now m searching for options to stick them together..

Mazur
05-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Ours came already bonded together. We just had to drill our holes/counter bores and decided to round the sharp edges.

ESaenz
05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah I was a little shocked at getting the std IA and noticing it wasn't as pretty as the one advertised but not having to do the testing and reporting did save a lot of work.

Our IA was also bonded. We bored holes and bonded alum inserts.

Swayam Ray
05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
What bonding agent did you use?? actually I am a bit scared to apply adhesives on it, as it might just react with the foam. any adhesive with cyno acrylate may react with foam. Please tell me what bonding agent did u use

nons13
05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Ours just arrived, thankfully bonded together.
Bit dissapointed eitherway.
The only proof is the receipt saying "FSAE attenuator"

I was wondering what should we include in the IA report.
A photo and the standard drawing would be enough?

thanks

Swayam Ray
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
you have to submit the mounting technique, and the test or analysis of for anti intrusion plate so that under the specified force it doesn't deflect more than 25mm ( 1 inch appx), photographs, and the a copy of the receipt from BSCI.
If u think any thing more must be given please post here

nons13
06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
We submitted the IAD including what you've already mentioned above.

We got our confirmation from both Italy & Hunngary

Swayam Ray
06-24-2011, 09:27 PM
any idea how to cost the standard impact attenuator? Should it be cost as made or cost as bought?? And what material do we use if it is to be costed as made?

bhai
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Do we have to create an outer covering for the Dow Impaxx? In case we do, can anyone send me the cad model for the impact attenuator. It seems to be removed from the website