PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising

Isaac G.
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello fellow FSAE members,

My name is Isaac Garfunkel and I am a team member of Drexel Racing and we have just had our first meeting on Wednesday September 24th. As always, we are excited to get underway, yet like most things nothing is possible without money. We receive only so much from the school and we can use more for extras and high cost materials such as carbon fiber and electronic equipment.

There is a free online site that is called www.whatwegive.org (http://www.whatwegive.org) that provides each organization with its own homepage and fundraising opportunity. Basically you encourage people to make purchases from a selection of over 1.7 million books, cds, and dvds, using the same supplier as amazon.com, and 25% of each purchase goes directly back to the organization.

Like I said, I encourage you to use it as you have nothing to lose and you can end your program at any time you want. If you are on top of your financial game, great! But if you could use a little extra visit www.whatwegive.org (http://www.whatwegive.org) to register or simply find out more information.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please post.

I wish you all luck at competition this year and will keep in contact!

Isaac G.
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello fellow FSAE members,

My name is Isaac Garfunkel and I am a team member of Drexel Racing and we have just had our first meeting on Wednesday September 24th. As always, we are excited to get underway, yet like most things nothing is possible without money. We receive only so much from the school and we can use more for extras and high cost materials such as carbon fiber and electronic equipment.

There is a free online site that is called www.whatwegive.org (http://www.whatwegive.org) that provides each organization with its own homepage and fundraising opportunity. Basically you encourage people to make purchases from a selection of over 1.7 million books, cds, and dvds, using the same supplier as amazon.com, and 25% of each purchase goes directly back to the organization.

Like I said, I encourage you to use it as you have nothing to lose and you can end your program at any time you want. If you are on top of your financial game, great! But if you could use a little extra visit www.whatwegive.org (http://www.whatwegive.org) to register or simply find out more information.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please post.

I wish you all luck at competition this year and will keep in contact!

Wesley
09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
1.7 whole books!?

I assume it's million?

alumasteel
09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1.7 whole books!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's over 1.7 books.. so it could be as many as 1.9 or even 2 whole books

Maybe I missed the point, but how is this site not a scam? Who is selling what here? And why is this for-profit company just giving away its profits?

Steve O
09-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I am assuming they are making much more of a profit than you if not % wise than by shear numbers of all of the organizations they serve. You do the leg work and they are "paying you" for that. It's just like any other fundraising company. They make their money through you selling their product.

As far as it being a scam, I doubt it. Like I said this is no different than any other fundraising company out there.

Isaac G.
09-29-2008, 05:54 AM
1.7 million, yeah, my bad. And yeah, Steve O is correct in saying we make money only through high volume sales. Saying "you do the leg work" is one way of saying it I suppose. The difference with us, however, lies with the fact that it is all online so you don't have to go out of your way to sell to individuals and such. People just buy whatever at whatever time they please. There's no pressure and you are not forced into buying something you don't need like flavored chocolates and plastic Santa Clause decorations. The numbers are like this:

Cost of products: 66.7%
Donation to Fundraiser: 25.0%
WWG year-end contribution to each fundraiser: 1%
Operation expenses, payment processing fee, profit: 7.33%

Total = 100%