PDA

View Full Version : Cone washers

Cement Legs
02-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Where have people been finding their cone washers? I would really like to 'not' have to make these myself but I want the suspension hanging in 2 weeks so I will make them if I have too.

Cement Legs
02-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Where have people been finding their cone washers? I would really like to 'not' have to make these myself but I want the suspension hanging in 2 weeks so I will make them if I have too.

Denny Trimble
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
We make our own, but here's another source:
http://www.chassisshop.com/

Tony K
02-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Yea... we make our own as well. Most of the commercially available cone washers for spherical bearings / rod ends are much to large for our use. It's quite tedious making 70+ cone washers, but it's a great project for a freshman who wants to help out.

Big D
02-27-2005, 04:19 PM
we made inserts for the frame that eliminate the cone washers. one in each pair is also threaded, eliminating the nut. These made our installation of the suspension incredibly easier, since all we have to do is align the ball, and drop the bolt through, instead of juggling an A-arm, 2 washers, a bolt, and aligning a rod end. you need like 4 hands for that... sheesh!

Cement Legs
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big D:
we made inserts for the frame that eliminate the cone washers. one in each pair is also threaded, eliminating the nut. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By threading one side yourself does that still qualify under the rule requirements for the grade of mounting hardware used for the suspension?

Big D
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
They didn't bother us about it... it is still a grade 8 bolt going through the whole works, with probably twice the length of threads as a nut would provide, and has the 2 threads past with safety wire out the bottom end.
Like I say, we didn't catch any flack over it

BStoney
02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
We do pretty much the same thing on most suspension pick up points on the frame and uprights...thread a turned spacer, weld it in, and you've just eliminated the need for two guys to install one bolt. Now your spherical is centered exactly without any effort during assembly.

No problems with judges as long as you have them safety wired correctly.

It is one of the best parts to give a newbie to the shop in order to learn how to use a lathe. I've been there, so has another guy, and he is one of our best machinists now that he got all that practice a year or two ago.

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
threading and safety wiring???
why not just drill the inserts out and put a nylock on the bolt, save time and dont have to resafety wire every time the fastner is out.

BStoney
02-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Can do it that way as well, it saves weight by not using all the nylocks. Plus, you eventually have to replace the nylocks every so often when you unbolt.

Luckily, we don't have to take the a-arms off the car too often, thank God....