PDA

View Full Version : Fromt bulkhead support

tplaks727
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Do the supports for the front bulkhead have to extend all the way to the front roll hoop in one solid piece or can the supports be comprised of multiple sections of tubing welded together?

tplaks727
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Do the supports for the front bulkhead have to extend all the way to the front roll hoop in one solid piece or can the supports be comprised of multiple sections of tubing welded together?

Xeilos
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Connecting the front hoop to front bulkhead does not have to completely be from 1 one solid piece. It can be from more than one piece. However, there has to be proper load paths between these two structures. You also have to meet the minimum rules for tube sizing of course.

A straight tube is usually the most direct load path with the least weight but there are tons of other consideration in proper spaceframe design. I am not recommending a solution to you, but instead giving some perspective.

It has been a while since I personally have done frame design but I believe there must be 3 paths for the load to travel between the hoops. Please read the rules to clarify this for your own benefit.

Michael Royce
10-21-2011, 02:07 PM
tplaks,
examples of acceptable Front Bulkhead Support configurations are show at fsaeonline.com at:
http: / / www. fsaeonline.com/page.aspx?pageid=5ade9b01-8903-4ae1-89e1-489a8a4f08d9

As Xeilos says, there is a minimum tube size.