PDA

View Full Version : Centerlocks, RH/LH thread

Jersey Tom
11-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Riddle me this. Heard a lot of mixed answers on this one, and I want a sanity check.

For your centerlock nuts to 'self tighten' in operation from the slop between the drive studs, drive stud holes, and whatever else.. what corners should have RH thread and which should have LH?

It would make sense to me that the RF should be LH to tighten under braking, and the RR to be RH to tight under accel. The LF however would need to be RH to tighten under braking and the LR LH. Same threads on diagonals.

I know for a fact Champ Car RF is LH thread.

Jersey Tom
11-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Riddle me this. Heard a lot of mixed answers on this one, and I want a sanity check.

For your centerlock nuts to 'self tighten' in operation from the slop between the drive studs, drive stud holes, and whatever else.. what corners should have RH thread and which should have LH?

It would make sense to me that the RF should be LH to tighten under braking, and the RR to be RH to tight under accel. The LF however would need to be RH to tighten under braking and the LR LH. Same threads on diagonals.

I know for a fact Champ Car RF is LH thread.

Bill Kunst
11-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Tom,
http://www.licorvette.com/pdfcatalogfiles/KOwheel.PDF#search='right%20hand%2C%20left%20hand% 20wheel%20studs'

If you look at point 10, you will see that they say the spinners, or nuts, should tighten towards the back of the vehicle.
Bill

Alan
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
RH thread for the left side, LH thread for the right side. On the Swift .014 the left side nuts were bLue and the right side nuts were Red so that you could not mix them up.

Looks like someone beat me to it.

Jersey Tom
11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Yea same on the 016a. Still don't see why exactly.

Garlic
11-04-2006, 10:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why complicate things? The car brakes close to the tire's limit on all four wheels. So it makes sense to keep it simple and have the same thread for both sides front and rear (in reality, rear probably doesn't matter)

jack
11-04-2006, 05:46 PM
all of our center lock nuts were RHT and they all did a dandy job of keeping the wheels on the car. sprint cars also have one side reverse thread. i couldnt find a good reson for this either, so why complicate things...

BryanH
11-04-2006, 08:23 PM
J Tom, google "Rudge Whitworth, knock-off wheels"
He's the guy that patented the system in early 20th cent. What't going on is the two tapered surfaces behave as an internal planetary gear set,the wheel rotates (slightly!) on it's spline causing the nut to try to rotate because it has a slightly smaller diameter. If the whole deal is designed correctly, l/h thread on right side for male taper nuts they will self tighten while being driven in forward direction.

Brit sportscars use the Rudge Whitworth system which has a female taper on the nut, so the thread directions are arse about. I think they did this to enlarge the diameter of the taper and generate more torque on the nut.

P.S. Think this topic has been done before, hope the Captain doesn't notice