PDA

View Full Version : Public Access of Solid Modeled Parts

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
We are currently working on doing solid model work, in both Solidworks and Inventor, its time consuming to say the least. We were thinking it would be nice if there was some way that parts teams have drawn could be shared to the general FSAE community. I have received drawings of the Honda F2 engine, Yamaha R6, and Keiser Rims all of which I would be willing to share. I know ppl are constantly posting about diffent engines on this forum and I'm sure other parts could be a great help, for solid model assemblies and design ideas!!!!

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
We are currently working on doing solid model work, in both Solidworks and Inventor, its time consuming to say the least. We were thinking it would be nice if there was some way that parts teams have drawn could be shared to the general FSAE community. I have received drawings of the Honda F2 engine, Yamaha R6, and Keiser Rims all of which I would be willing to share. I know ppl are constantly posting about diffent engines on this forum and I'm sure other parts could be a great help, for solid model assemblies and design ideas!!!!

RickyRacer
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
We are in the process of modeling a honda 600RR. I think it would be great if people could help each other with some of the common drawings used between everybody like wheels, rod ends,.... I hope to be able to share our drawings with other teams
Ricky
Cal State Long Beach

El Kevino
03-13-2005, 06:47 AM
We'll pitch in some, too. No proprietary parts, just standard things you can buy but have to make drawings of. I think it needs some system to ensure that everyone benefits from contributing data - ideas, anyone?

IsheeM
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
There was a recent article in Racecar Engineering about this site (http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/3dcontentcentral/). I think this would be a good place to post some images and I think that some FSAE people might have already put some stuff on there.

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
cool site, I saved prob 20 things off of it already. We will have to figure out how to put up a FSAE catagory and maybe have ppl post in here when they add something.

Erik Whoa
03-13-2005, 10:30 PM
That would be awesome. I have a 2002 gsx-r in AutoCAD format I would be willing to share.

Would you be willing to give me a copy of your Honda F2 Engine model? What format do you have?

Sten2350
03-23-2005, 09:56 AM
A team member of mine (we're working on part of the engine stuff for the 2006 car at OU) works for a company that apparently has a 3D-imaging camera that is supposed to be able to convert digital pics to all sorts of CAD models (he says he knows it does ProE, but I haven't heard about SolidWorks or not). They say it's accurate to .001 inch, which for most purposes, would be alright by me! We just heard of this, and haven't yet had an opportunity to try it...plus we're still waiting on our engine. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif Has anyone else heard of this? ...Or is it too good to be true?

alfordda
03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Yes, this is a very common techenology, and there are a few variations of it. The method we have used entails placing a photo reflective targets on the test object, and then take a bunch of digital pictures. The pictures are then processed and the xyz location of each point is returned. This can then be put into most modeling programs, and the model created from these points. Obviously, the accuracy of this is limited by the number of pixels your camera uses, placement of targets, amoung others, but from what I understand this method is very cheap. The other methods are more accurate, but also more expensive.

Cement Legs
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Its really too bad that we arent able to post these files here on FSAE.com http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

salvlor
05-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi there, i really hope that we can share cad models with each other .. i personally have a few cad models that i can share e.g FULL detail cad in solidworks for Fox vanilla damper, bearings, rodends and gxxr 600 k2 engine..

i'm thinking of moving from gxxr next year so now i'm trying to collect cad models of different engine ... hope u can help

Thanks ALot

PowerTrain Leader NUS FSAE

Dr Claw
05-09-2005, 01:24 PM
the thing your going to have to remember is, is it a representation, or a dead on 'saved to a parasolid from the native design format' kind of part. with my experience with 3d modeling and design, i'd be hard pressed to trust a CAD file's accuracy if it wasnt made in house...

just some pessimism, i'd hate to have a team's calipers not fit in their wheel, or have rodends spec'ed out and the head not fit into an upright...worse yet, i'd hate to be the team that made that part available http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Richy O
05-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Most companies have CAD models of their bearings available via their website.

If they do not have this facility themselves (such as Aurora Beaaring) they will use another site to host them.

www.cadregister.com (http://www.cadregister.com) has a lot of different CAD models available including Aurora Bearings.