PDA

View Full Version : EBC Pad Compounds

jack
10-12-2004, 11:09 PM
has anyone used the EBC "Sintered HH sport" compound for their brakes? anyone also use the "green stuff" compound on the same car and compair? i figure that is what i'll end up doing. as for the HH Sport compound in general, for those that have used it, what do ya think? i'm just guessing, but i think they will need some heat to work well, and they will be hard on rotors.

jack
10-12-2004, 11:09 PM
has anyone used the EBC "Sintered HH sport" compound for their brakes? anyone also use the "green stuff" compound on the same car and compair? i figure that is what i'll end up doing. as for the HH Sport compound in general, for those that have used it, what do ya think? i'm just guessing, but i think they will need some heat to work well, and they will be hard on rotors.

madman
10-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Jack,

I ran both these compounds (among others) through a series of tests on a brake dynamometer.

I found that on Cast Iron the HH (yes, I know it says don't use on cast iron - more on that later) had comparable friction to the green stuff at cold, and maintained its friction up to 500+ degC (at this point the rotor started experiencing rapidly propogating cracks, so I stopped the test).

The HH compound takes a little longer to bed-in, but provides consistent friction coefficients up to 0.1 higher than the green stuff. Even with glowing red rotors it maintains a friction coefficient greater than 0.4.

These tests were conducted with a relatively slow speed / large intertia brake dynamometer and a cast iron rotor. The results will change depending on the rotor material, and energy/power of your brake cycles.

The green stuff is good too. We found the cheaper (non-race) kevlar compounds crisped and glazed too quickly (surprise surprise), but the green stuff held on for FSAE use. It seems to provide a more temperature-consistent friction coefficient, but as I didn't specifically test for this I can't be sure.

The HH provides a more solid feel and rock-hard stopping. Many drivers prefer the kevlar feel though.

A word of caution, when the HH operates in high temperatures, the abrasive friction regime eats cast iron rotors rather rapidly. Whether that worries you depends on how hot you run your brakes and how you like the idea of disposable rotors.

Summary: both work, which is better for you depends on the rest of your system and what your drivers like.

jack
10-13-2004, 11:27 AM
thanks for the info madman. we will be running mild steel rotors, because i can't get cast iron in the right size. sounds like we should go with the HH Sports though. we used green on our last car, and it worked well. but might as well try out the HH this time around.

HAGUS
10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jack:
thanks for the info madman. we will be running mild steel rotors, because i can't get cast iron in the right size. sounds like we should go with the HH Sports though. we used green on our last car, and it worked well. but might as well try out the HH this time around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you turn rotors out of pre-existing automotive iron castings?

fade
10-29-2004, 05:14 AM
probbably because you have to get the rotor surface area to match up with the calipers your using. and then theres the hub mounting bolt pattern and disk offset and a few other things that might make it more trouble than its worth.