PDA

View Full Version : Main Roll Hoop Wall Thickness Test

Ramanan
08-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi

I am from a first year team from India. Can someone please describe the equiptment that they use to check the diameter and wall thickness of the main and front roll hoops. What is the exact procedure and what are the things that we have to do????

Ramanan

Ramanan
08-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi

I am from a first year team from India. Can someone please describe the equiptment that they use to check the diameter and wall thickness of the main and front roll hoops. What is the exact procedure and what are the things that we have to do????

Ramanan

Rob.C
08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
its a set of verniers!

they measure the OD then (through the hole that has been drilled for this test) they measure again , the differnce between the two being the wall thickness of the tube.

ridiculously simple if you ask me!

kozak
08-01-2005, 12:21 PM
at baja this year in addition to visual inspection and calipers they also use what i believed was an ultrasonic wall thickness gauge.

Agent4573
08-01-2005, 02:17 PM
did any other team get annoyed that they specify what diameter hole you have to drill for the wall thickness test, then they use a set of calipers that are much larger and won't fit through the hole?

Cement Legs
08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever double butted their tubes and just left the original wall thickness at the test hole location.....

Colin
08-01-2005, 06:38 PM
i'm sure someone has but there's nothing stopping them makeing you drill another hole somewhere else

Mike Cook
08-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Not a great place to try to lighten up the car Ramanan....While rollovers are rare, they have happened http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif