PDA

View Full Version : telemetry rules

aron_tx
08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen anything prohibiting telemetry in the car, but what about the frequency used? what happends when more than 1 car used the same frequency to transmit? I would appreciate your answer!

aron_tx
08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen anything prohibiting telemetry in the car, but what about the frequency used? what happends when more than 1 car used the same frequency to transmit? I would appreciate your answer!

formula_wally
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Nothing wrong with using a wireless link. My ambitions still are a big supporter of it, as it is a very good excersize for any of your mechatronics/electrical students.

I think all of our cars should be built in such a way that it can handle an endurance event without worrying about overheating, oil pressure, and other possibly problematic situations. Im not infering that you would be dependant on the information, yet I see Live data more as a transient tool to tell the head tech when the car MUST be taken off the track. It is however really usful when breaking in new drivers who don't pay attention to the warning lights on the Dash, or shaking down a new car.

As per frequencies, Maxstream makes several cheap robust solutions in the $50-$500 range. Basically each packet has an indentifier, such that your reciever only accepts information if the proper ID value is set in header. (there are several other layered topoglgies you can use, but assuming the standard slave and host).

Only a handful of teams use are using the same chipsets from Maxstream as us. Changing the carrier ID will be an easy 3 second tweak if we notice problems at the events. Distances range from 10 feet to 2km so far.

Igor
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
The guy with the most radiated power and proper error correcting protocol will win the competition. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But seriously, as all radio telemetry is in the ISM band, you can't really regulate it beyond FCC/ETSI rules. You don't need any real time telemetry at this competition anyway, it's not like you're going to change the air fuel ratio because the data engineer predicts you will run out half a lap before the end of the endurance.
Telemetry is more usefull during testing and hopefully that will be well before the competition.

Igor